Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

help! bike will not hold idle 04 May 2007 21:59 #137242

• eklaben
  • eklaben's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, so I have been reading through here for almost a month now trying to fix my 81 KZ550 that will not idle after bringing it out of winter storage and no luck yet. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, replaced the intake manifold boots, new petcock and fuel line with filter, checked for air leaks....it has a new battery and is getting spark to all cylinders.I have not ran a compression test yet because the bike will not idle. Now for the problems.. If I hold on the throttle, with full choke, it will run just fine, but not on its own. It is missing two choke flaps on #1 and 3 carbs(not sure if i bought it this way or it happened recently), and some smoke comes out of the crankcase breather hoses at first. If i try to start it without throttle it just revs up really high and then dies. The bike ran fine before I put it away also. I replaced the airbox with pods and it already had 4-1 exhaust. Is this a jetting problem? Or would the bike still idle with too small stock pilots? I am tired of working on this thing, it is my first bike and have only had it one summer. Maybe someone in the Buffalo NY area can help me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: