Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 03 May 2007 10:43 #136796

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I got my old Z1 running on all four yesterday- and noticed the smallest jets I have say "130" on them- maybe that is a bit rich ya think? :laugh:

Stock Z1 with 76 V-26s and 1977kZ1000 jets that say 130

so what is the suggested jet size?

I have cheesegrater aircleaner (flow at least as well, if not better, then pods, with much better venturi action than pods) and a 4-1 kerker with supertrap exhaust- not much baffle there either!
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 03 May 2007 12:31 #136830

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Try #120 mains, leave the jet needles clipped 5DL31-3 and the stock pilot jets are fine #17.5
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 03 May 2007 18:27 #136907

• CruisingRam
  • User
Okay- I am just leaning about these carbs- what do you mean "jet needles"?

I need to look at the pilot jets- I didn't see a number on them anywhere- I bought 120s today at Yamaha, the ones off thier mikuni carbed snow machines are the same- pretty cool!
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 03 May 2007 19:03 #136919

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
the brass needle at the end of the slide that moves in and out of the main jet and emulsion tube. it has notches on the end of it so you can adjust the lean/rich mixture.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 04 May 2007 10:45 #137056

• CruisingRam
  • User
arobsum wrote:

the brass needle at the end of the slide that moves in and out of the main jet and emulsion tube. it has notches on the end of it so you can adjust the lean/rich mixture.

Ah, so those little needles sticking out of the main jet hole are adjustable? How do I adjust them? From the top of the carb?
I hate electrical stuff.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 06 May 2007 07:08 #137518

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
yeah, they are held up by a clip that you can adjust, unless you have non-adjustable ones, at which point you use washers or spacers under the needle to lift it up however far you need to.

..of course WG said leave them clipped at 3.

If you change the clip position, you run the risk of running really rich, and screwing up the performance of your bike. That's not to say you shouldn't.. but make sure you need to before you do. I changed mine to see if I could get rid of a bit of a stumble at 5500 rpm, and my bike was running like a hippo before I changed the clips back to stock. It pulls like a freight train now.. B)

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/05/06 10:10

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/05/06 10:11
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 06 May 2007 08:18 #137528

• AR15Ron
  • User
do you have the service manual for your bike? Getting the slides out is a little involved but since your jets have been changed you may want to check and make sure the needle position has not been changed from #3. On the 26mm carbs you have to remove the return spring, the bolt from the throttle linkage and the 4 bolts from where the slide mechanism attaches to the rod that conencts the 4 carbs (under the top covers). There is also a little throttle shaft set plate with a philips head screw in it mounted on side/top of the inner carb on the left side that holds the rod in position, have to take that out too. Remove the rod (there are rubber caps on the 2 end carbs) After that you should be able to take the 2 screws out of the tops of each slide assembly (deep inside the top of the slide) and flip the linkage out of the way and push the slide out and the needle. You will see notches in the needle with a little clip. Yours should be in the middle, position 3. It's kind of a pain, and the manual would be helpful with all the pictures! I think in the file section there may be a parts diagram for the carbs that would help you.

The pilot jet #'s are printed on the side near the top. If it's really dirty they will be hard to find.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 06 May 2007 08:53 #137541

• CruisingRam
  • User
Thanks- I am taking them off tonight, will have the jets changed tonight, will run her hard tomorow- see how things shake down- still got issues- then I will take it to the local jedi master again, and get some copies from his service manual as well. I only have the 1977kz1000 manual- and the carbs are obviously different- no idle screws for one thing!

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2007/05/06 11:54
I hate electrical stuff.

130s? Think that is a bit large do ya? 06 May 2007 09:31 #137551

• AR15Ron
  • User
I'm no expert or anything but I think your 77 manual should be almost the same. IIRC the main difference is the the 1976 (one off carbs) have the air screw on the side like the older 28mm carbs, where the 77 and later models have the air screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Everything else should be pretty much the same. I think there is some difference in the top the with springs or something on the whole assembly the moves the slide, but you shouldnt have to worry about any of that. According to my Clymer manual stock settings for 1976 air screw are:
Air screw 1 3/8 +or- 1/4 turn
I only have the Kawa manual for 1978 which doesnt match my carbs either :) It's good to have both manuals.

• Page: