Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Air Fiter Cleaning 02 May 2007 20:18 #136612

• Norseman
  • Norseman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just got my "new" used air box for my KZ1000M1 CSR, which came with a used filter that still looks pretty good. My question is how to clean the filter. I did a search, but came up empty.

The manual says to clean it in a "high flash-point solvent" bath and dry it with compressed air, but it doesn't go beyond that. This could possibly mean mineral spirits, but I wanted to ask you folks what you use. Appreciate any feedback or advice on this.

I initially posted this question believing that there was a foam part, but that's incorrect. The filter is a dry-element filter (looks like paper-like material), and there's a foam gasket. This gasket is shot, though, but it looks like I can replace it with closed-cell foam insulator with adhesive backing of proper size.

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/05/02 23:47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air Fiter Cleaning 02 May 2007 20:35 #136621

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
If it's a foam filter, all I can tell you is that most cleaners sold for them look, smell, and act a whole lot like Formula409. So that's what I use. rinse with water afrewards, air dry (becareful with compressed air, it can tear it) and re-oil. No, I won't admit that I've used 30w engine oil for that!
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

. 03 May 2007 05:51 #136692

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Air Fiter Cleaning 03 May 2007 06:07 #136700

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I just replaced the air cleaner in my bike with a hiflo filter. It works really nicely, and is a direct replacement to the OEM. It cost me $17 (cdn)..so not a stretch. I noticed an immediate improvement.

..just FYI :)

Oh.. and FWIW - Jeff has them at Z1E. Or at least the Emgo version..hiflo was a little more money:

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1607

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/05/03 09:22
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Air Fiter Cleaning 03 May 2007 06:34 #136712

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I wash my filter in GAIN soap powder, BUT I let the soap powder dissolve first in the water, then I put the filter in, water is hot. I've done this with paper filters so far and they have been extra clean. To clean it I dont scrub it, I swish them around in the water in the action a washing machine moves its center part and the turbulence of the water and soap knocks out the stuff. I've also found soap powder works great on grease on the hands better than dishwashing liquid.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Page: