Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Good question 24 Apr 2007 11:53 #133510

• b4schroer
  • b4schroer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Last summer, I (a novice) took apart my entire set of carbs, cleaned them deep, and that was that. Anyway, my motorcycle still isn't running good, but that is besides the point at this very moment. My question is simply this: At what point should one buy a re-build kit for the carbs vs. simply cleaning them? My carbs looks nice, the jets and everything physically appear to be fine. I think I did an exceptional job cleaning them. Was it bad that I re-used the gaskets around the float bowls? Is it possible gas has schelacked(sp?) inside my jets and I am not noticing it?

Bottom line, I am considering buying re-build kits for them, but I almost think it is a waste of my time. I will deal with my motorcycle not working well at a different time, but does anyone think that perhaps it is worth my $60 to rebuild them and essentially scrap all my jets and parts that seem in perfect condition? Is it a rule of thumb to not re-use the gaskets and the jets if gas has gone bad in there . . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good question 24 Apr 2007 12:02 #133513

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
i would say just to rebuild them, it took me 5 frusturating times to get mine clean, and the bike to run right. one think i did that seemed to work was use a steam cleaner inside the bowls, and get a paint size can of carburator cleaner avalable at your local part stores. i eventually put new rebuild kits in it over the winter, and havent had a problrm yet(fingers crossed).
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Good question 24 Apr 2007 12:14 #133520

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I like the rebuild kits. I like the new gaskets and shiny parts. I throw 1/2 of the new parts in a bin of crap I cant use anyway but I still like them :) The O rings I'm sure you could match up at any hardware store, those are always dried and hard in every carb I've ever taken apart. Bottom line, if you don't need gaskets you probably dont need the kits. I don't use any of the stock jetting so those parts are junk to me anyway. I do love the new air screws and springs and stuff though. Personally for the $60 I'd just as soon buy them, but I totally understand your point of veiw and shared it myself for many years before I became independantly wealthy.. oh yeah, that didnt happen yet, but I'm banking on it LOL

Ron

Good question 24 Apr 2007 13:00 #133533

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I never rebuild. I'm sure there are varying quality of the kits, but what I've seen are not Mikuni parts, they are cheaper quality aftermarket and usually not even close to right. I was trying to fix some really bad 900LTD carbs and the pilots in the kit "big mistake using this kit", didn't look right although they were stamped with the right size. I screwed them in and the tips of these junk kit pilots was bigger than the hole in the carb and before I realized what was going to happen they seized in the carbs and the tips just twisted right off broken in the carbs. Well one marginal set of carbs now trash.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

. 24 Apr 2007 15:55 #133576

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Good question 25 Apr 2007 09:00 #133824

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I have cleaned a lot of carbs and I have never used a re-build kit. I simply clean everything and put it back together. I even use the old gaskets. Sometimes it takes a few cleanings to get it right but it always works out eventually.

Good question 25 Apr 2007 09:08 #133827

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
There is a lot to be said for rebuild kits too. All new o-rings, jets, needles and gaskets. A used gasket is compressed and doesn't seal as well as a new one and the needles and jets wear. And o-rings dry out and don't seal as well, air leaks around the mixture screws are one example. For the price of a kit they are worth the peace of mind.
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Good question 25 Apr 2007 17:18 #133956

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
baldy110 wrote:

I have cleaned a lot of carbs and I have never used a re-build kit. I simply clean everything and put it back together. I even use the old gaskets. Sometimes it takes a few cleanings to get it right but it always works out eventually.

i never use new gaskets either, unless i mess one up..the old ones seem to work fine.:)

Good question 26 Apr 2007 23:08 #134495

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
New gaskets are nice, and cost the same as just buying the kits. The K&L kits from Z-1 seem pretty decent. I don't use the jets but I'm pretty sure the jets I do use are also made by K&L. My 28mm carb kits came with new needles, they had different #'s so I didnt use them. You will want to pay attention to details like that if you do buy kits. The biggest problem with these carbs seem to be the floats sticking. The kits come with new float seats and needles, and the needles have spring loaded tips which may be an improvement? It's worth it for the peace of mind to me. I rebuilt my carbs 3 times without kits and it never ran like it does now. It starts like its fuel infected, comes right off choke and runs like a brandy new bike.

• Page: