Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

bike running like shit after getting gas 14 Apr 2007 21:28 #130228

• oldkaws4ever
  • oldkaws4ever's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
last night i went and got gas, because it was below a quarter of a tank. it started up with no problem, but a bout halfway home it felt like there was no power after 5000 rpm's. When i went out this morning to start it to take a ride it did't wanna start. When i finally got it running she was running like shit, it was backfiring and would not rev up or idle. I put some Heet in the tank and left it sit, it started up easier, i left it warnm up for like 5 minutes, went to take it around the block and it would only go up to 40 mph and it would bog down hear and there, and it bogged real bad there after. Im going to drain the gas from the tank and carbs tommorow and put new fuel in it and see what happens. I think i gut got a tank of bad gas has anybody ever had this happen?
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bike running like shit after getting gas 14 Apr 2007 21:38 #130233

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I've had this happen. Here's a little tip that may help you out some day. If you see the tanker in the gas station parking lot refilling their tanks, keep driving. When the tankers refill the station gas tanks it tends to stir up sediment which ultimately can end up in your tank.

I'm not sure if this is what happened in your case, but it has happened to me before.

Cheers. :)

bike running like shit after getting gas 14 Apr 2007 23:08 #130242

• zzrmkII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Try some "seafoam".You can get it at local parts stores and it works,carbs my have some crap in them.It will get rid of or most of the build up around the needles/pilots due to the formulation of gas now a days.I have 5 bikes I run and every 2nd tank I run seafoam in them,if I let them sit and not run them they will give me problems on start up and will run on 3 cylinders till they clear out,#4 carb is what has the problems.Just remember what works for me ...might not work for you..
In the middle of town with my
74 750 triple dragbike
78 KZ1000 dragbike
80 KZ1000 MKII
81 KZ1000 J model
00 ZRX1100
and my 97 Dyna

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 04:36 #130258

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The problem is more likely inside your tank. I rinse tanks using a phosphoric acid solution to kill any surface rust. If you didn't do something like that recently, I suggest you drain the gas, then clean the filter screen on your petcock and start using an inline filter. Pouring chemmicals through the gas won't help if the problem is minor scaling rust.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 06:14 #130282

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I had something similar happen a few years ago.
On the way back from Vegas, we stopped to refill our bikes and continue home. About 2 miles later my bike started sputtering and then just died! :pinch:
It would restart after sitting for a few mins, but would also die again within a few miles.

Curious, I opened the fuel cap and found a HUGE glob of cotton half-submerged in my tank.
Apparently some jackhole though it'd be funny to stuff that into the gas pump nozzle. :angry:

I ALWAYS check the nozzle now before fueling, never know if that clown has like-minded friends/relatives in other cities or states.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 09:18 #130325

• wireman
  • Visitor
Attachments:

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 10:01 #130340

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
I belong to an industry association that hosts a ride every year in conjuction with a trade show in Vegas. Last month, I went on this ride for the first time. Everyone was still talking about last year's event when one of the riders filled their rented Harley with DIESEL at one of the fuel stops. :blink:

Sputter POP Sputter POP die.
West Linn, OR

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 10:03 #130342

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Friday the agriculture commissioner was locking up pumps at shell stations around Atlanta and N Georgia for water in the gas. It was the E10 stuff.

bike running like shit after getting gas 15 Apr 2007 18:28 #130505

• oldkaws4ever
  • oldkaws4ever's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
latest update: the problem was majorly due to an electrical connection that broke, the connector were the red/yellow wires mount into the wiring harness broke, so i "borrowed the connector off of anothe bike i have, drained the tank and carbs, and put 87 octaine and she fired right up and rode beuitifully
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• Page: