Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Quick float level question. 10 Apr 2007 20:36 #128688

• wrecktec
  • wrecktec's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The specs for the float level out of the factory service manual says 1.5 to 3.5 mm from the carb body. I have had these carbs off several times trying to get a few kinks worked out. After installing the carbs the last time, my float levels are more like 5mm from the carb body and even on both carbs. My question is would it hurt to leave it like this. It runs great and seems almost a little rich if anything. I would rather not take 'em back off if I don't have to. BTW they are CV32's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quick float level question. 10 Apr 2007 22:24 #128708

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Beings you are running a larger then recommended setting, you should be actually on the lean side. The larger distance will lean out the jetting some. If it is running alright, it shouldn't hurt anything, but I'd keep an eye on your sparkplugs to be sure. They should be a light brown/tan in color. Very light brown or white is too lean and you could burn a piston eventually.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Quick float level question. 11 Apr 2007 05:45 #128744

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
5mm service level is fine for the CV32s. The "rich" you talk about isn't being caused by the carbs... it is from poor combustion. See the "coil repowering" tech tip on our website under "wg's Tech Stuff Index" and have a look at the valve clearance tech tip in the same location. While this tip won't help you adjust the valves on your little twin, it will give you an idea why valves that lack clearance can cause poor combustion.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Quick float level question. 11 Apr 2007 17:28 #128928

• wrecktec
  • wrecktec's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have read the "coil repowering" article, seems like a great idea. Thanks for the info!

• Page: