Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Why is carb #2 leaking? 09 Apr 2007 19:11 #128267

• 13thlevel
  • 13thlevel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
When I leave my bike parked overnight on the sidestand (I don't have a centerstand), fuel leaks from the #2 carb. It appears to be coming from the bottom of the air filter, or maybe from around the side of the carb. What would cause this? Stuck float? Bad gasket? Unfortunately I haven't got a service manual yet (sux).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why is carb #2 leaking? 09 Apr 2007 19:22 #128275

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Sounds like you either have a stuck or gas-filled float, worn float needle or dirt in the needle seat.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Why is carb #2 leaking? 09 Apr 2007 19:37 #128280

• minutiesabotage
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the same problem. Dirt kept getting caught in the seat(rusty tank). I cleaned it out, and got a good inline filter, not just a piece of plastic with a screen in it. Haven't had a problem since. I even left my petcock on pri one night, and there was still no leak.

Also, spray any rubber that was exposed to gasoline with silicone soon. After the carbs are off of course.

Why is carb #2 leaking? 09 Apr 2007 20:26 #128315

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Sounds like you either have a stuck or gas-filled float, worn float needle or dirt in the needle seat.

But don't forget about those pesky little carb unions,or the tee-fittings for the fuel lines...CHRIS!:laugh:

I remember when I thought My bowl gaskets were leaking...GRRR!I went through absolute hell,looking for the leak...replaced the bowl gaskets...tightened the living sh** out of the bowl screws...still leaked.
Yup...it was the tee-fittings the whole time,seaping fuel out,and of course the fuel would run to the low side of the carb,and drip off the tip of the bowl screw,making Me think for SURE that it was leaking there...wrong.
So that's when I used the teflon tape and it sealed it up good.The teflon tape was Murphau's idea,and like I said in Your other post there Chris,it worked for over 2 seasons before I swapped carbs.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Why is carb #2 leaking? 09 Apr 2007 21:16 #128343

• 13thlevel
  • 13thlevel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The PO already installed inline filters, but they may need to be changed (stone type). I guess what I need to do is have the carbs cleaned/rebuilt. Is it a terribly difficult job to do?
Attachments:

Why is carb #2 leaking? 10 Apr 2007 00:18 #128381

• minutiesabotage
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I am assuming that your carbs are in otherwise good condition, if not, yes, you should rebuild. Hardest part is getting the carbs on/off the bike IMO.

To clean the seat, all you have to do is take off the bowl on #2, take out the floats and the needle should be free to pop out IIRC. I use a small screwdriver and a hammer to get the hinge free. Depending on clearance, you might even be able to do this with the carbs on the bike.

Oh, and get a shop manual, but don't be surprised when it's wrong. :angry:

Why is carb #2 leaking? 10 Apr 2007 05:43 #128424

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The float needle/seat assembly is not intended to be a fuel shut off when parking the bike. Shutting gas off is the function of the petcock. If you have a gravity petcock, turn it to OFF and if you have a vacuum petcock, it should shut off automatically when engine vacuum stops actuating the diaphragm inside the petcock when the engine isn't running. If it DOES NOT shut off, rebuild or replace the petcock. Gas will almost ALWAYS leak out of the carbs when the bike is parked if the gas isn't shut off.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: