Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 07 Apr 2007 15:29 #127454

• clubhobo
  • clubhobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm almost there...got 2,3 and finally #4 firing. I pulled the the bowl off #4 and it was pretty clean so I unscrewed the main brass nut that goes all the way up into the top...it has all the little holes in it (don't laugh). I cleaned it, screwed it back up there and it started firing? I'm trying to do as little dissasembly as possible...should I do the same on number one...what else can I clean while the carb is on the bike? Did I miss anything on the bottom? Can I do any cleaning with the top of the carb off too? thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 08 Apr 2007 04:50 #127625

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Your method of cleaning won't yield good results. The carbs need to come off the bike. They need to be totally disassembled and the bodies cleaned either by soaking in carb cleaner then blown out with compressed air of better yet, by cleaning ultrasonically. Each internal passage should then be checked to see if it is unobstructed. All rubber bits must be replaced if you expect the carbs to work properly and the main jet holder tubes and all other brass bits that can be removed should be removed and cleaned or replaced... such as jets as the little holes in both the pilot and main jets don't respond well to cleaning if obstructed by dried gas goo.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 08 Apr 2007 19:23 #127875

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
wiredgeorge wrote:

.... of better yet, by cleaning ultrasonically. ...

George, do you use carb cleaner in the ultrasonic or do you use detergent? Also, do you turn on the tank heat to, say, 40°C give or take?

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 08 Apr 2007 19:47 #127900

• clubhobo
  • clubhobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, so irritating when I'm soo close. I just want #1 to start firing so I can take it for a ride. This is where I'm at 2,3 and 4 fire nice. Number one has great spark and compression but when I put the plug in and run it...pull it out again it looks not a drop of fuel has touched it. I know it's not firing becuase I can grab 1's pipe with my bare hand during a run. This is what I crrently see....the constant 18 inch puddle coming from #2 bowl overflow hose....I don't think this is affecting 1 from getting fuel though? Everytime I pull or drain the the bowl off 1... plenty of fuel comes from it. Is there a down and dirty test to check and see if number 1 carb is getting fuel or even doing it's job as a carb?

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 09 Apr 2007 05:02 #128023

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
the only way you are going to get this thing to work right is to pull the carbs off and clean them inside and out, if you are worried about doing this for the first time, take them apart, and lay everything in order as it comes apart, clean it and then install in reverse order.
you can also take pics step by step,
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

79 KZ 650 has spark..no combustion in #1 10 Apr 2007 06:04 #128433

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The point of an ultrasonic cleaner is to use aqueous cleaning solutions and not solvents. After a lot of experimenting, I have come up with a solution that is very effective for cleaning and use several products in mixture. An aqueous cleaner is environmentally safe. You can't use chemical solvents in an ultrasonic like you can in a parts cleaner. The parts are cleaned using heat because the heat makes the cleaning more effective. We run the cleaner at a bit hotter temp than 40 degrees C.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: