Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CV 32 question 26 Mar 2007 21:38 #123821

• wrecktec
  • wrecktec's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking in my Kawasaki service manual, it shows that the pilot jet on this carb is supposed to have little rubber pilot jet plugs. Went to Kaw dealer and ordered some, put 'em in the pilot jet, then the thing would'nt start. Finally got it to start but would'nt idle at all. Took 'em back out and it ran a lot better and would at least idle?! Any diagram or pic i have seen of these carbs, they have had these plugs installed. Just wondering what's going on here. Hope i did'nt waste my money on these things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CV 32 question 27 Mar 2007 12:36 #124007

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
wrecktec - Ok... the plugs on the pilot jets. Not sure if you need them or don't need them. There are two ways that a pilot jet can pick up gas from the float bowl. One is via the well that the pilot jet sits in... No plug needed. The other is via the main jet. If you remove the main jet and main jet holder (needle jet), on this type of system, you will notice a hole going sideways from the main jet well into the pilot jet well. Also, the main jet holder tube will have a largish hole; about 2mm in it where it sits adjacent to the hole between the wells. On this type system, there MUST be a plug over the pilot well or the bike will run slobber-nasty rich at idle. Why they do this? I have no idea... SOME of the BS34s have the plug (and the hole in main jet tube and hole between pilot/main wells). On a Suz BS34, the plug is black rubber and the bowl holds it in place. On a KZ1000J, the plug is an aluminum slug with oring. On a XS1100, the plug is an aluminum fitting screwed into the well with an aluminum crush washer (best system). On a CV34 used on a KZ750, the plugs are yellowish plastic that break easily and have an oring...

OK, to see if your carbs need plugs, pull out the plug and look about 3/16" inch down in the pilot well. Do you see a small passageway going to the main jet well. The hole will be just a shade bigger than a pencil tip... If the hole is there, you need the plugs. If they are rubber, note there will be a flat deal in your float bowl that contacts the plug. If there is no hole, no plugs are needed. That simple.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

CV 32 question 27 Mar 2007 17:09 #124100

• wrecktec
  • User
WOW! Thanks for taking the time to explain! My carbs do have the hole between the pilot well and the main well, so I must need the plugs.:)

CV 32 question 27 Mar 2007 18:47 #124120

• wrecktec
  • User
Went back out and put the plugs back in the pilot well, same thing but would'nt even start. Took 'em back out and it ran. Dosen't seem to idle or idles pretty crappy until it is warmed up, but then idles fine at around 1000 RPM. I do have the airbox off, don't know how much difference that makes.

CV 32 question 29 Mar 2007 06:22 #124562

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The airbox off means you are leaning out the carbs. If you are using the choke and the choke pickups aren't picking up gas as they should, the bike probably won't start using the stock pilot jets unless you flood them.

Before putting the carbs back on permanently, ensure the choke pickups are clear... these are the small brass tubes (I think your carbs have them). Once you are pretty sure they are clear, put the airbox back on and try to start the bike (with plugs back in place).
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

CV 32 question 29 Mar 2007 18:44 #124748

• wrecktec
  • User
Yeah, I installed the airbox without the rubber pilot plugs in and you were right, it ran "slobber nasty rich". Took the carbs back off, put the plugs back in, and it ran a lot better. Thanks again for the info.

• Page: