Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 26 Mar 2007 19:55 #123779

• sawmaster
  • sawmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've worked through all of my electrical issues and got her on the road today B). En route I managed to get my idle adjustment knob way out of whack and couldn't get her started again. I've looked for posts concerning said knob but only find posts about screws. Where should I initially set this knob?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 26 Mar 2007 20:13 #123784

• wireman
  • Visitor
id say hold the throttle open just a little to get it started and turn the knob a little at a time till it idles hi enough to stay running.once its warmed up and the choke is off you can fine tune it to idle where you want it.some bikes will idle at 800 rpms some bikes wont idle under 1200 rpms just depends on state of tune and whats in motor ;)

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 27 Mar 2007 05:17 #123866

• sawmaster
  • User
Okay, but at the moment I can't even get it to start. I've seen in a few forums where people say to screw the idle in until just about seated and then back it out a turn and a half. Is this referring to the idle adjustment knob or the idle screws?
:evil:

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 27 Mar 2007 05:32 #123868

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe the turn and a half is with regards to the pilot screws on each carb?

The other knob at least on my bike, just essentially opens the throttle the more you tighten it. If you can get a flashlight to where the screw extends to, you will see that if it is too loose, it is not making any contact with the throttle mechanism on the carb. Keep screwing it in and you will see it will touch the mechanism and start to push it open the more you screw, thus allowing more air in and increasing the idle.

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 27 Mar 2007 05:54 #123873

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Start the bike by holding the throttle open a bit and then once it starts, keep the throttle open a bit til you screw open the idle udjustment and release till its ok.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Setting idle adjustment knob initially 27 Mar 2007 18:00 #124107

• sawmaster
  • User
so after checking a few things I realized that my fuel line was kinked in between the carburators. Finally after 5 months of rebuild, I rode her tonight and she purred like a kitten at idle and screamed when given any juice. I can't wait for the weekend. Your responses did help me to figure out my problem and clarified many questions. Thanks.

• Page: