Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

carb sync 25 Mar 2007 16:15 #123388

• boomboom45
  • boomboom45's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
anyone have, or know where i can get a carb sync tool? checked flea bay, looking for something cheaper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb sync 25 Mar 2007 16:34 #123395

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The $1.55 carb synchronizer.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/03/25 19:35
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 15:24 #123690

• boomboom45
  • User
what is it, and where do i get one?

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 15:58 #123698

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Cool tool! Just click on the part that says
The $1.55 carb synchronizer.....it'll take ya right to the page....:)
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 16:32 #123709

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Z1 Enterprises has one that uses individual gauges for about $50.

Motion Pro was rumored to be replacing their mercury filled job with something else, but their site shows nothing like that at the moment.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 17:58 #123734

• boomboom45
  • User
thanks for the help guys. anyone know if this would work if i put 4 hoses on it?

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 18:10 #123736

• EsaPro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Funny, I was searching today for manometers, and found the link above, as well as This Link

I never though bagpipes and bikes had anything in common! :)

I hope to sync my twin using the $1.55 method this week(end).
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

carb sync 26 Mar 2007 20:44 #123804

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
boomboom45 wrote:

thanks for the help guys. anyone know if this would work if i put 4 hoses on it?

All you need to do is sync carbs #1 & #2, then match carb #3 to #2, and finally match #4 to #3.
Or synch #1 and #2 (making sure to jot down the readings exactely), then swap the hoses over to #3 and #4 and just match those readings.

If you get a yard stick that's wide enough, you could just pony up with another $0.84 and run another pair of hoses on the yard stick like you're thinking.
Which would probably be the best way to go, since all 4 readings will be side-by-side and easier to match up. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

---- 27 Mar 2007 06:15 #123876

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

carb sync 27 Mar 2007 07:20 #123899

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have to respectfully disagree... Since all four slides hang from a common rod (bolted onto the rod solidly), when you change the slide height of one via its adjuster screw, the other three change a bit in some cases. Thus, if you get one and two carbs balanced and move the gauge to 2 and 3, you WILL often change #1 again. I have seen this happen a zillion times while syncing carbs. OK... this arrangement COULD work with FOUR pieces of clear tubing and the oil in each but I would advise to go to the hobby store and buy some plastic beads that are the same diameter as the ID of the tubing. Carefully make some holes in the beads; ensuring the holes are equal size. These beads are now RESTRICTORS. You won't have to have the tubing 9 miles long so as to avoid sucking the oil into your engine. The restrictors decrease engine vacuum pulling up the oil equally if the holes are the same size. Without restrictors on mercury gauges you would have the same problem. Even then, if you rev the engine enough and have the slides almost shut, the mercury can bounce and can sometimes get sucked into your engine. I guess the restictors also make it harder to suck the mercury (or oil in) just by being in the line. All commercial manometers will have the little beads... You can stick most any round thing in there that will stay as long as it has a small hole.

RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

boomboom45 wrote:

All you need to do is sync carbs #1 & #2, then match carb #3 to #2, and finally match #4 to #3.
Or synch #1 and #2 (making sure to jot down the readings exactely), then swap the hoses over to #3 and #4 and just match those readings.

If you get a yard stick that's wide enough, you could just pony up with another $0.84 and run another pair of hoses on the yard stick like you're thinking.
Which would probably be the best way to go, since all 4 readings will be side-by-side and easier to match up. ;)

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

carb sync 28 Mar 2007 19:37 #124471

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
wiredgeorge wrote:

.... I would advise to go to the hobby store and buy some plastic beads that are the same diameter as the ID of the tubing. Carefully make some holes in the beads; ensuring the holes are equal size. These beads are now RESTRICTORS. You won't have to have the tubing 9 miles long so as to avoid sucking the oil into your engine. The restrictors decrease engine vacuum pulling up the oil equally if the holes are the same size. Without restrictors on mercury gauges you would have the same problem. Even then, if you rev the engine enough and have the slides almost shut, the mercury can bounce and can sometimes get sucked into your engine. I guess the restictors also make it harder to suck the mercury (or oil in) just by being in the line. All commercial manometers will have the little beads... You can stick most any round thing in there that will stay as long as it has a small hole.

George do you have a pic. The restrictors do not slide in the tube, right? They are wedged at the top end of the 4 individual tubes with the holes in the bead restrictors in-line with the tubes?
What size bit is used to drill the beads? #60?

carb sync 29 Mar 2007 05:00 #124532

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I bought a Motion Pro Carb Sync Tool off a guy on craigslist for $40.00. Looks brand new. These are the things he's talking about in the picture:

These are the adapters, but not sure what the restrictore do? Do the settle the mercury down from jumping around, to get a more accurate reading?:blink:

Motion Pro Carb Sync Tool
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Page: