Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 08:40 #123079

• katjbus
  • katjbus's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I installed new set of pods on my 1982 KZ 550c LTD, bike runs great, more power, lot more intake noise (obviously), the only real problem is that after about a week or so the filters are turning white #3 + #4 are the worst and I have to re-oil them!! Makes me think I might have leaking valves!! I have run a compression check and I have 150 psi. across the board, I would think if the valves leaked I would have low compression, I dont have access to a leak down tester. Could someone tell me if they have had this problem, or if they know if its normal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 08:55 #123082

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Are you allowing the filter oil enough time to soak in and "dry" before riding it?

It sounds to me like the oil is still basically on the surface and hasn't thoroughly soaked in yet, and is being blown off the filters while you ride.

I've never run pods before, but maybe this is actually normal since they're exposed to anything and everything and more apt to showing dirt, etc at a faster pace than a standard airbox filter would show. :huh:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 09:08 #123084

• katjbus
  • User
It washed of the same rate with the oil that was on the filters that came from K&N, I lett it sit after a new treatment for more than an hour. it has done it even when it has been nice out, only had them on for about two to three weeks. thanks for the input
Attachments:

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 14:04 #123142

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I didn't have any oil to spray on my airbox K&N so I used WD40! Yep we caribbeans do alot of substituting!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 14:17 #123144

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
All the advertisements show K&Ns as being pink but I have found that if I put that much oil on them that they look pink then it will get sucked into the carbs and the choke flaps become noticeably grungy and sticky. All they need is just a light spray. I think that what you are describing is normal. Mine are usually on the white side and I only clean and spray mine a couple of time a year.

When you take off the pods operate the choke lever and check if the pod side of the choke flap is sticky. If so then it means you are using to much oil.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

K&N Filters 24 Mar 2007 22:33 #123234

• katjbus
  • User
Thanks for all the input

• Page: