Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb Floats 22 Mar 2007 15:35 #122624

• bullitt00692
  • bullitt00692's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
okay - So I have my carbs sitting in carb cleaner - What happens when I take the carbs out of the wash and blow the chemical off with the air compressor?

How should I adjust the floats when I don't have all the cool tools to do it? Is ther a poor mans way to adjust the floats or should I get a gauge?

Do I need to do anything else other than putting the parts back where I got them from, run some wire thru the litte holes and adjust the floats and poof - it will work like new??

Thanks again for your help,
Lou

:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb Floats 23 Mar 2007 17:05 #122917

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I am here too help. First of all stay away from the wire. If you have a compressor just use that! Nothin will happen if you blow off the floats. The next thing is if your bike has held a good tune in the past don't change the float heights, especially if you haven't had fuel run into your air box of overflow after you use the bike. The wire will damage the jets. Mixed up
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Carb Floats 23 Mar 2007 18:13 #122938

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
There is either a drain nipple or a 6mm drain screw. Can't recall which on your carbs. The service fuel level is 4mm I think. Set the carbs level when you reassemble. Fill the bowls from an external tank. You can set your gas tank above the carb rack and use that if you don't have an old lawn mower tank lying around. If you have a 6mm drain screw, find a 1/4" straight vacuum adapter at an autoparts store and buy 2 feet of clear flex 1/4" hose. Screw the vacuum adapter into the hole using some teflon tape and put the hose on the end. Hold the hose up alongside the carb body. If you have a drain nipple, you slip the hose end onto the drain nipple. Turn the gas on by either raising the tank up or turn on the gas. Let the bowls fill. DO NOT raise or lower the hose. Air bubbles will keep the hose from fully filling. You can gently blow into the hose to dislodge the air trapped or tap the hose. Anyway, once the air is dislodged, the level of gas in the hose will be the same as in the bowl. 4mm is a shade over 1/8". The gas will either be higher, lower or at the 4mm mark. I would not touch things if the gas were 1mm over or under the 4mm mark. The level of the gas is relative to where the float bowl gasket is. The gas line should be 4mm below this line. If the level of gas is higher than it should be, turn the gas off and drain the bowl. Then with bowl removed, take a small flat blade screwdriver and bend the tang on the float. This tang is the small square of metal that contacts the float needle. If gas is too high, bend the tang up slightly to shut gas off sooner and if it is too low, bend the tang down to allow more gas in the bowl. A small adjustment will make a big difference so only make small adjustments till you get the hang of it. The carbs must be level when this is done. Once finish, your float levels will be correct.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: