Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fouling plugs 1977 KZ750B 27 Mar 2007 07:29 #123906

• shawntmartin
  • shawntmartin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The yellow will come aready attached to the coil? It doesn't show that in the Z1enterprises picture so I was confused.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fouling plugs 1977 KZ750B 27 Mar 2007 08:19 #123924

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
shawntmartin wrote:

The yellow will come aready attached to the coil? It doesn't show that in the Z1enterprises picture so I was confused.

Hmm. Let me clarify, because I'm not sure what I said to confuse you.

There is a yellow/red wire that is on your existing harness, connects to your existing stock coil. This is the existing power to the coil, the one that we don't like so much and is essentially being demoted from providing power to the coil, to just triggering the relay.

The coil you bought comes with no wires whatsoever. No connecting wires, no spark plug wires.

Oh, and I looked at WG's doc to remind me, and though he does not mention "cutting" anything, per se, he says this in step 3, "Remove the wire and cut off the male connector."
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Fouling plugs 1977 KZ750B 27 Mar 2007 10:58 #123980

• shawntmartin
  • User
So will it be easy to figure how to wire the coil? Don't want to get wires backwards...
Other replacement coils have wires already coming out of them... I'm sure everything is labeled on the dyna though...
About the wiredgeorge thing... when trying to find his document, I read a post of his that said he never cut anything... but it does say to cut the wire when reading his document. Maybe the current document has been modified from the original... I just searched for his member name then looked at his posts. Here is what it said...

Don, When I wrote the original version of this coil powering mod tech tip, the person that edited it did some modifying for reasons known only to himself.

When I personally do this mod, I don't cut anything. there is a two out connector right above your valve cover. This is the connector where TWO yellow/red wires run to your coils. These are the power wires for your coils.

In the modification, ONE of these wires becomes the TRIGGER wire for the relay. Just remove your old yellow/red wires and run a NEW wire coming out of this dual connector to the trigger INPUT on your coils. This wires is switched; that is it derives power from a switched source; that is, your ignition switch and goes through your kill switch. In the event of a problem, you can still kill power to the coils by turning off the bike or using your kill switch. I THINK the person who edited the file believed that your coils would remain hot unless you hacked into a wire somewhere but I don't want to conjecture as I can't read minds.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
www.wgcarbs.com
(too many bikes to list - Mico TX)

But, there is no confusion... I know to cut the yellow/red wire... Thanks!!

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/27 14:09

Fouling plugs 1977 KZ750B 27 Mar 2007 11:43 #123988

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
shawntmartin wrote:

...But, there is no confusion... I know to cut the yellow/red wire...

Yep. One important point is that he's describing the TWO yellow/red wires on an inline four bike, which is most of what he deals with. He's just saying only use ONEof them as a trigger. In our case, we only have one anyway, so that's that.

Also, I think he uses the term "cut" to imply something to the effect of splicing into the harness somewhere.

In fact, he does describe pulling apart the bullet connector on the yellow/red wire. But where he says, "Just remove your old yellow/red wires", I think he basically means "separate the connector", which to ME (the way I do it) means, "Cut off the bullet connectors because they are the spawn of Satan, and solder together with new wire"...

;)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Fouling plugs 1977 KZ750B 27 Mar 2007 12:03 #123995

• shawntmartin
  • User
Thanks!!!

Post edited by: shawntmartin, at: 2007/03/27 15:03