Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

metering needles? 14 Mar 2007 12:24 #120149

• fdmc_99
  • fdmc_99's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hi, i phoned my local motorcycle shop, i asked him how much it would cost to rebuild my carbs, and sync them, i told him i already have the carb kits, he said it would be atleast $400. canadian, i told him last year i was told it would only cost 250, he then said ill mnost likely need new ,metering needles, and new needle and seats, he said my kits that i have probably wont have them in the packages. so i later checked and i see that i do have new needle and seats, along with o-rings- gaskets and some other brass looking hardware stuff. so i called him back and said that i do have the needle and seats in the kits, but i dont see anything that lookes like what he described as a metering needle, he told me they were usually aprox 2-3 inches long. so he said to buy some before i take my bike into the shop. ive looked in my clymers shop manual i have for my bike, and i cant even find them in there. so will i need these parts to be replaced, he hasnt even seen my bike, if i do need these where can i find new metering needles. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

metering needles? 14 Mar 2007 18:47 #120236

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
It's really no big deal to rebuild the carbs yourself, I have more of a problem removing and installing them! (stupid air box tubes) We can help..
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

metering needles? 14 Mar 2007 19:14 #120242

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
most carbs kits i have seen come with new slide needles and the float needles/seats.

metering needles? 15 Mar 2007 08:44 #120372

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
fdmc_99 wrote:

.... he then said ill mnost likely need new ,metering needles, ....

Most likely the reason he wants you to have the spare needles on hand is because he/they have a mechanic who does not know how to disassemble and reassemble carbs without bending/destroying the needles. They are rather delicate, but a little care and patience while handling is all that's required.

• Page: