Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

directions to adjust throttle cables 04 Dec 2005 11:16 #11719

• ndees
  • ndees's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone have a 'how to' on adjusting the throttle cables for kz1000 ltd? I'm trying to use the manual I've got and nothing seems to be right. (these are new cables)- thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

directions to adjust throttle cables 04 Dec 2005 15:07 #11771

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Here's an explanation I found in the Archives:
"There has to be a cooperation between the two trottle cables. It is not enough to adjust the decel cable. First you will have to back in both the adjusters on the trottle grip fully till you have got a great amount of freeplay. (If there isn't a great amount of freeplay, you will have to adjust on the adjusters on the carb end of the cables till you have got enough freeplay).Then screw the decel cable adjuster out 3 full turns. After that, screw the acel cable adjuster out till the freeplay in the cable is almost gone. Then back in the adjuster on the decel cable till you have got 10-15 degress (2-3mm) of freeplay on the trottle grip. That should insure that you have enough trottle freeplay."
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

directions to adjust throttle cables 04 Dec 2005 15:14 #11774

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Let me try... I assume you have both cables routed correctly and installed on the bike. First, there are barrel adjusters on the cables near the switchgear. Back both of these barrels out about 3/16" after loosening the locknuts that hold them. Now, down at your carbs, loosen the TOP nut on each cable and then back the lower nut down till the cable is fairly tight, then tighten the top nut. Now the cable(s) should be pretty tight. At this point, WATCH THE CABLE down by the carbs and move the barrel adjusters toward the switchgear just a tad till you see the cable at the carbs get some slack in them... there should be noticeable slack. Now tighten everything and twist the trottle and let it snap back. Make sure there is still slack in the cable. The MAIN cable adjustment thought is to have just a bit of slack where you can SEE THE SLACK down by the carburetors because if they are tight, the throttle will be held open just a tad by the cables and the bike will never idle down where it should.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

directions to adjust throttle cables 05 Dec 2005 05:40 #11847

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I adjust the pull cable length so that the throttle slides will clear the throttle bore at wide open throttle and then adjust the return cable length to obtain the specified throttle grip freeplay.

Ron

directions to adjust throttle cables 10 Dec 2005 12:50 #12524

• ndees
  • ndees's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I got it adjusted pretty well, except for the part that says 'no clearance between the throttle cable bracket and the pully stopper when you push the throttle grip completely closed'. When I tried to make that happen the grip was too tight and wouldn't snap back. Thanks for the input.

directions to adjust throttle cables 12 Dec 2005 06:17 #12725

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The info you got on the "no clearance" between pully stopper and bracket is wrong. It is CRITICAL that there be clearance. To bench sync your carbs, all assemblies have a spec for this clearance otherwise the slides won't be adjusted in the correct range where the bike will idle at the correct speed. It is usually around 3/16". I have adjusted the cables on my carburetor test bikes over 250 times this year alone and the IMPORTANT thing is to have slack in the cables when the throttle is in its normal position. If there is no slack, the throttle can be held open just a tad and that makes the idle difficult to settle down as it should.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

directions to adjust throttle cables 12 Dec 2005 19:11 #12849

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Why not just use one cable?
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

directions to adjust throttle cables 12 Dec 2005 21:50 #12886

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Just remove the return cable.

• Page: