Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb issues 23 Feb 2007 18:02 #114838

• GPZK
  • GPZK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, I have an 81 GPZ550. It had UniFilter pods on it when I bought it. I replaced the O/E air box today, and painted the header.
The bike has been sitting in my garage all winter without being started (3-4 months). While the carbs were off I pulled the bowl off the left outside carb to see if the needle & seat were damaged because that carb dribbled fuel occasionally. I sprayed some carb cleaner through the passages.
So I get everything all buttoned up and ready to start. It will run with the choke full on and I keep the RPMs above or at 2000. Below that it dies. The exhaust note is not as crisp as it was before, in fact my first impression is that it is not running on all cylinders.
I bought new rubbers from the air box to the carbs from Z1 Enterprises, great service by the way, and I have a foam filter in the air box (not oiled at this point).
I have not pulled any plugs yet to see if they fouled while trying to start.
What should I look for? Choke full on means rich right?

Thanks
Kenny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb issues 23 Feb 2007 22:12 #114885

• gpzrox
  • User
It is gonna take alot for me to believe that any drop in filter is going to flow as much as pods do, so I imagine that you need to get your jetting back to near stock, if not at stock.

And while you are in there, a good cleaning could not hurt.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Carb issues 24 Feb 2007 18:05 #115146

• GPZK
  • GPZK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Here's what I did today. Checked the plugs, it looked like only two had been firing.
Pulled the carbs off agin and removed the bowls, once in there I got a good look at what was going on.
There was this green goo all over the place. Once out in the ait the goo hardened into what looks like the bluish green oxydation on copper or brass that has been outside.
After a good cleaning, two mains and two pilot jets were stopped up, new plugs, and fresh fuel, 'Ol Red fired up and ran like she is supposed to!
It has that wandering fast idle that is common from what I read.
When I had the carbs apart I took note of the jet sizes, pilot 32, mains 90. I'm going to ride it for a while to see what happens.
I think the PO yanked the carbs off, cleaned them enough to get it running, then went with pods rather than fight the old hardened boots, or the expense of new ones.
See you on the road!

• Page: