• Page:

TOPIC:

Tiny Flat spot off idle 16 Feb 2007 06:02 #112829

• stone_cold
  • stone_cold's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys,
1983 KZ1100L1 LTD Shaft with pods and a 4-into-1 Mac pipe. I rebuilt and rejetted the carbs. Main jet #125 and one washer under the needle as RTG suggested. Did a sync on the carbs and adjusted the mixture/idle air what ever the proper term is.

The screws were 2.25 turns out when I tore the carbs down for cleaning but I backed them out 1.25 like the specs in my service manual said. The bike seemed to run better when they approached the 2 turn spot so that's where I left them.

Anyway! The bike runs FANTASTIC!!!! tons of power and wonderful throttle response in any gear.

My issue is this; if I get behind a really slow car where I have to close the throttle and then open it a tiny little bit to keep the bike moving there is a small flat spot/ stumble. If I sit at a stop light for a long time and then just barely crack the throttle open there is the flat spot again.

I spoke to the previous owner and he said that was normal for that bike that it did that for he entire 17 years he owned it but it never got any worse nor caused any problems. I just find it very hard to believe that it's normal. The bike just runs so well that I feel like I'm nit-picking but I want it to be right.

I have not repowered the coils yet but I hope to get that done this weekend. I have replaced the plugs and wires just because I like to do that when I get a new bike so I know where I am.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts or suggestions or can you confirm that a small flat spot is normal for an 1100.

Thanks a bunch,
Tony T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tiny Flat spot off idle 16 Feb 2007 11:48 #112916

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Hi stone_cold. I dont know anything about 1100s but can say that the coil mod did help me with off idle response and response in general at the lower end of the rpm scale.

Hopefully somone else with a bike like yours will be along soon to say if what you are seeing is normal or not.

Good Luck

Post edited by: JR, at: 2007/02/16 19:36
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Tiny Flat spot off idle 22 Feb 2007 05:50 #114373

• stone_cold
  • User
Since I couldn'r seem to get an answer to this one I thought I'd see what I could find. I did a complete re-setup of the carbs last night. I turned the idle mixture screws in to the factory spec and did a resync. The bike would not hardly run with the idle screws a the factory spec so I went 1/2 turn out from there just to get it to idle a littl more smooth. I did a sync by syncing 1 & 2 together, then 3 & 4 together and then left bank to right bank. The needle on my vacuum gauge had a tiny little bounce in it but I was able to get each carb to the same area with the same little bounce.

After they were all the same I started adjusting the idle mixture screws until the RPMs stopped climbing then went 1/4 turn more.

If the flat spot is there I am not noticing it. I rode the bike to work this morning which is the first real ride the bike has had since I bought it. The bike seems to run great. I am blown away at how well is moves. My Honda Magna V65 weighs a lot less but this bike is a close second in acceleration.

I'd still like to know if there is anybody on the forum that has an '83 KZ1100L1 LTD. I'd like to compare what I'm see to find out if it is normal.

repowering the coils tonight B)

Later,
Tony T

Tiny Flat spot off idle 22 Feb 2007 06:37 #114383

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Glad to hear you fixed the problem.I have a flat spot a little higher in the rpms. I'll have to try what you did. Let us know how the next mod goes. Good luck.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Tiny Flat spot off idle 23 Feb 2007 13:28 #114806

• stone_cold
  • User
Well, I feel pretty good. Th previous owner of my bike came by today and he just had to take the bike for a ride. When he returned he had a smile from ear to ear. He said "well! I see you got rid of the flat spot that I was told couldn't be fixed". Then he went on to tell me how much better the bike runs than it did in all the years he owned it. He said that the low end power is better and it pulls a lot harder than it did. Needless to say I was as proud as a new father.

I want to thank you guys that helped me get the jetting correct because without you I would have just guessed. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Humbly,
Tony T

• Page: