• Page:

TOPIC:

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 03:22 #112219

• Conti
  • Conti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I bought some days ago a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST at a very low price. On the last WE, I checked it, and:
- replaced the oil and oil filter
- replaced the brake fluid
- replaced the spark plugs

I rode 30 kilometers with it, and I noticed the following problems:
- at low idle, the engine stops if I don't accelerate
- between 1500 and 3000/4000 rpm, the engine seems to run well
- after 4000 rpm (approximately), the engine sputters. It's as if there wasn't enough fuel.

The motorbike hasn't been used for around 5 years, and I think there're some dirt in the carburators. It's even possible some needles are seized. The admission pipes, between the air box and the carburators, are in bad shape. The last owner put tape all around those pipes to seal them, but I don't know if it really works.

Right now, the motorcycle is in the city where I work (Paris, France). I can't repaire the motorbike here. I have to move the motorbike 150 kilometers away, to another house, where I could work on it.

I wonder if it is risky for the motor to drive in such conditions. I would drive between 1500 and 3000/4000 rpm, where the motors seems to run ok.

What's your opinion? I would really prefer to do not have to rent a trailer to do that 150km long trip. But if it can damage the motor, I would do so.

Thanks.
Nicolas, Paris.

PS: Sorry for the bad English.

Post edited by: Conti, at: 2007/02/14 06:31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 03:41 #112222

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
After sitting for 5 years the carbs will need to be cleaned and rebuilt. You should be ok as long as you don't hear any noise from the motor.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 03:44 #112224

• wireman
  • Visitor
try a good tuneup;)

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 04:41 #112235

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
And welcome to KZRider!:)

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 05:01 #112239

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
  • Thank you received: 11
swish the old fuel out of the tank.
if it has a fuel filter replace it
if it dosn't fit one and check inside tank for crap.
take carbs apart use a can of carb cleaner on them.
blow out all the jets and airways.
if possible buy a manual too for carb diagram.
check chain and lube it if it has one and isn,t a shafty.
you should be fine.

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 06:40 #112269

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Get new intake hoses, float bowl gaskets and also check on the vacuum line from your fuel tank. I don't know if ST's have one but there could be on. On my bike I have a vacuum line that after the bike warms up it softens and kinks and at higher rpms, the vacuum sucks the hose closed. I cut the hose shorter and shifted its position so I am out of trouble for now. Also your intake hoses could have an air leak leaning out the fuel mixture. Also when you stop and the bike dies, it could be between the same lean fuel mix or the idle not adjusted high enough. I don't know if you can but most of us get our parts at fairly cheaper prices from www.z1enterprises.com and by the way the english is great for a guy from France, better than a certain guy I have seen on here from the US.
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 06:48 #112273

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Conti wrote:

Hello,

I bought some days ago a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST ....
Right now, the motorcycle is in the city where I work (Paris, France). I can't repaire the motorbike here. I have to move the motorbike 150 kilometers away, to another house, where I could work on it....

Welcome to the forum.
You will find lots of help and knowledgeable mechanics on the site.
As for your current situation, remove the tonneau from un camion, roll 'er in the bed and truck 'er off to where you can work at leisure.B)

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 07:18 #112281

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr Conti.

Like was suggested, you should remove and thoroughly clean out the carbs to remove all of the gunk that I'm certain is in them after sitting unused for 5 years.
They probably don't need to be rebuilt (replacing jets, etc.), just a good and thoroughly cleaning should do it.
Just be certain that you remove any rubber parts on or in the carbs BEFORE spraying any type of cleaner in them or soaking them in a parts cleaner, as carb cleaner and most parts cleaners will literally melt the rubber items. After 5 years, and considering the age of the bike, it might be wise to just get 4 new o-ring or gasket set for them anyway.

While you have the carbs off, this would be a good time to replace the taped-up intake boots (admission pipes) and examine the intake manifolds that fit between the carbs and cylinder head for signs of cracks and general aging/dryness.

As kzwolfsr mentioned, Z1 Enterprises is where a large portion of the members here buy their parts from.
They know these old bikes well, have great prices (most times cheaper than a Kawi dealer offers), fast shipping, and their service is top notch!

Be sure to check out the other parts vendors on the PARTS LINKS page here on the site. One of them just might be closer to you, which will help keep the shipping cost for parts to you more reasonable.

And before I forget, please be sure to post some pics of your bike when you can, regardless of it's current condition and appearance.....we love bike pics! B)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 10:02 #112336

• Conti
  • Conti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys. :)

The problem is that renting a trailer is really a pain here in Paris. I would have to drive my car for 1 hour to go to the nearest spot where I can rent one. Then, I would have to give it back on Monday morning, and then stay for another hour stuck in traffic jams to go to my job. :unsure:

That's why I really would prefer to ride the KZ1000ST to the other place, 150 km away. But I fear that riding with carburators in such bad conditions would damage the motor, even if I stay in the rpm range where the engine seems to run ok. What's your opinion?

The airbox hoses are in bad shape. I really can't remove the carbs to remove them right here in Paris. If I do so, I won't be able to put them back in place, and I would prefer to replace them in my other house. However, I'll drain the carburators before moving the bike again. That can easily be done.

I know that's a strange situation, but here in Paris, we really have few space, I live in an appartment, and I have nowhere to work on my bike but... on the sidewalk!

I already noticed www.z1enterprises.com . They've got a lot of parts, and prices are reasonables. I'll buy my parts there.

Here's the bike (and me!):

I was 3 years old when that bike was bought by its first owner. :laugh:

I'll create another thread to introduce myself and show you more pictures. :)

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 10:12 #112341

• bullitt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wow that looks great ;)

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 11:05 #112358

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
A few year ago when I got my bike first I had similar problems which eventually turned out to be carb related - blocked jets and dirty fuel. A 50km ride I did with the bike in this condition was very very difficult and at times I did'nt think I would make it.

I can understand your dilemma - to rent a trailor or not - but if you decide to chance riding the 150km and the bike breaks down it could be even more expensive to find a tow truck or other means to transport the bike particularly in the middle of the countryside.

My opinion would be to be safe and rent the trailor.

One other suggestion - can you rent a storage unit or something similar in the Paris area where you work on the bike and keep parts ?

Whatever you do let us know how it works out.

Good Luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Possible damage to the motor ? 14 Feb 2007 13:12 #112380

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Conti wrote:

Thanks guys. :)....I'll create another thread to introduce myself and show you more pictures. :)

Nice cat! Again, welcome to the forum.
Can you get some more pics of it, the cat I mean?
I tried everywhere to find that cat on FleaBay but could not. Do you want to sell it/him/her?

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/14 16:17

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/14 16:19

• Page: