Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacement fuel petcocks? 13 Feb 2007 08:03 #112037

• barquirt
  • barquirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
For the 1977 KZ650B1 model is there a replacement "generic" petcock avaialble from Pingel or another supplier? My stock one is in pretty rough shape, missing the filter screen, the gaskets are old and cracked. I don't want a leaking mess when I start riding this spring... any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for either a bolt-on replacement that doesn't require a lot of fancy modifications or a source for new gaskets to rebuild the stocker. Thanks all...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacement fuel petcocks? 13 Feb 2007 08:37 #112039

• wireman
  • Visitor
we need to get a stamp made for this one,try Z1 enterprises!:P

Replacement fuel petcocks? 13 Feb 2007 08:57 #112048

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
haha yeah, a Z1E emoticon with hyperlink would be great on this forum.... in the meantime click here ;)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

---- 13 Feb 2007 09:04 #112049

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

Replacement fuel petcocks? 13 Feb 2007 11:40 #112078

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
  • Thank you received: 4
I became so annoyed with my stock vacuum petcock that I purchased an aftermarket (non-vacuum) Pingel petcock with a threaded mounting plate. I think I got it from Z1 Enterprises for about $30 and it works fine, shuts off the flow of gas when it is switched to the off position. No more carbs peeing on my garage floor. It's not stock but it's far less trouble than my old one.
P.S. I did rebuild my original petcock but couldn't cure the leaking gas past the o'ring problem. I theorized that the rubber diaphragm stretched more to one side when vacuum was applied and this would cause the plunger to hang up on the side of the petcock housing thus not shutting off the flow of gas.
Grant L.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Replacement fuel petcocks? 13 Feb 2007 11:41 #112080

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
  • Thank you received: 4
I became so annoyed with my stock vacuum petcock that I purchased an aftermarket (non-vacuum) Pingel petcock with a threaded mounting plate. I think I got it from Z1 Enterprises for about $30 and it works fine, shuts off the flow of gas when it is switched to the off position. No more carbs peeing on my garage floor. It's not stock but it's far less trouble than my old one.
P.S. I did rebuild my original petcock but couldn't cure the leaking gas past the o'ring problem. I theorized that the rubber diaphragm stretched more to one side when vacuum was applied and this would cause the plunger to hang up on the side of the petcock housing thus not shutting off the flow of gas.
Grant L.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

---- 13 Feb 2007 17:52 #112157

• H1Vindicator
  • User
----

Replacement fuel petcocks? 14 Feb 2007 08:03 #112292

• barquirt
  • barquirt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I, too, would not like to have to modify the petcock opening to use a Pingel item. Which rebuild kit # did you order for the stock petcock?

Replacement fuel petcocks? 14 Feb 2007 08:39 #112305

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Don't let a little tank surgery keep you from doing it.

I used a round file to open up the opening, it's no big deal and I thought at the time it would still work if I put the original vacuum petcock back in. I had to take out about 1/16" inch in two areas. I put a small piece of magnet inside the opening as I filed, and it caught most of the filings. I flushed the rest out.

In my opinion, it's one of the best mods you can do, next to the coil mod.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Replacement fuel petcocks? 14 Feb 2007 09:00 #112315

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm confident in my mechanical skills, but all three of the vacuum petcocks I've rebuilt (78 KZ650, 84 ZN700 & 96 VN750) still leaked like they did prior to being rebuilt. :angry:
My guess is that whatever caused the rubber part(s) to wear and leak in the first place, also wore a corresponding pattern or grove into the petcock body itself. And no amount of rebuilding is going to fix that.
Or maybe I'm just unlucky. :huh:

So after shelling out roughly $30 each for each rebuild kit and them not working, I simply bit the bullet and bought NOS for each bike (about $85 each! :pinch:)....no probs since though! B)

If you want to stick with the OEM gravity-fed KZ petcock, I see NOS ones pop up on eBay once in a while.
All it takes is patience in finding one, and a good last-second snipe bid to be leak-free once again. ;)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/02/14 12:02
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Replacement fuel petcocks? 14 Feb 2007 10:33 #112351

• stone_cold
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I tend to agree with OKC_Kent. I've NEVER owned a bike that didn't leak fuel from the petcock even after a rebuild. I would use a fuel shutoff from a lawnmower (the plastic ones with the red on/off valve). They were cheap and worked pretty well.

The last two tanks I did were on my KZ440 and now on my KZ1100. I bought the adapter plate and petcock from Z1 and I have to say that's the only way to go.

I used a rag wrapped around an air hose with the air turned on about medium to force air in the fuel cap hole and out the petcock hole. That kept the metal filings blowing out of the tank while I filed the two small areas with a round file. For me it was done in under an hour, it looks and works beautifully.

I used the 3/8 adapter plate so now my tank will accept a standard 3/8 screw-in petcock which are easy to find almost anywhere.

Good Luck,
Tony T

Post edited by: stone_cold, at: 2007/02/14 13:36

---- 15 Feb 2007 07:07 #112558

• H1Vindicator
  • User
----

• Page: