Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stabil question 29 Nov 2005 12:45 #10919

• OKC_Kent
  • OKC_Kent's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I'm just wondering if anyone here has trouble with Stabil and Reformulated Gas?

I've been in a discussion on another forum about winterizing.
I asked a friend about using Stabil this winter in my bike, it seems the last time he used Stabil ( a few years ago) in Reformulated Gas it would float on the gas and no amount of agitation could mix it.

He lives in the Dallas area and that is one of the EPA's mandated reformulated gas areas. I live in OKC and it's not mandated here, but I'm not sure what's in the gas to tell the truth.

Stabil's web site says it is safe to use with the reformulated gas. Has anyone got recent experience with this gas and Stabil?

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2005/11/29 16:01
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stabil question 29 Nov 2005 14:51 #10940

• dannyg40
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure about the Stabil,
I use it on occasion but not sure if its in reformulated gas. I always run my carbs completely out of gas then I know I will never have a problem the next year. I spent a total of about 10 minutes disconnecting my fuel tank, then starting the bike and running the carbs dry. I lifted the seat up, took out the 1 screw holding the tank on, disconnected 2 easy to get to fuel lines, and started the bike and let it run till it died on its own. Next season I will install the battery, put the tank on, fill it with gas, and never worry about the carbs getting clogged, or if the stabil did its job. BTW, the tank is drained dry, closed, and in a warm basement for the winter. I would still worry about getting rust or moisture in the tank even if it had stabil. The tank is not completely "air tight" and any dry parts in the tank thats not taken up by the gas in the tank might have a tendency to form a little surface rust inside the tank.......

Post edited by: dannyg40, at: 2005/11/29 17:52

Stabil question 29 Nov 2005 14:55 #10942

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Never thought much about that, but it's a good question. In my opinion it doesn't even work with regular fuel, so I sincerely hope it doesn't work even worse on reformulated :angry:
I may just do my own non-scientific experiment with it. I think I'm going to fill a set of junk carbs with stabil prepared gas and a set with the same gas without stabil and compare the results of sitting 1 yr untouched. My guess is relatively no detectable difference in the amount of gum. Sure you can add stabil to a 5 gallon tank of gas and it will last a year or two, but this is not a valid test because 5 gallons of untreated fuel will last that long.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Stabil question 29 Nov 2005 18:51 #10983

• JMKZHI
  • Visitor
Here are a few guidelines that I follow:

Fuel will stay fresh longer when the temperatures are lower: gas goes bad faster in the summer than in winter. It also lasts longer when it is kept in a dark place which is usually cooler. Also, small quantities go stale faster than large quantities, so the fuel in the carbs will go bad before the fuel in the tank.

Here, when it's hot & humid, my bike is hard starting if it sits for much more than 2 weeks. If new fuel or stabilizer hasn't been added within 6 weeks, the mc gas is drained & put in my truck, then the bike is filled with fresh fuel. But this only happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I got some bad fuel at an out of the way gas station a couple of summers ago, and the syptoms were the same for that bad gas as they are with stale gas.

I'd trust the stabilizer to keep fuel fresh for 3 months; 6 months in real cold weather. Some have suggested using snow mobile fogging oil to coat an empty fuel tank.

JMK.

Stabil question 29 Nov 2005 21:11 #11010

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
JMKZHI wrote:

Some have suggested using snow mobile fogging oil to coat an empty fuel tank.

I may try this method, as I already have the can of fogging oil. I'm going to use it in the cylinders this weekend, and whatever I have left, I'm going to spray into my empty tank and slosh it around. The tank will be kept indoors for the winter. In the spring, to get rid of the fogging oil, I'm going to put a little bit of fuel in the tank and shake it around, then drain it into my car's tank so I can refill the bike with nice fresh fuel. Carb gum won't be an issue for me this winter because I'm rebuilding.

Stabil question 30 Nov 2005 07:30 #11045

• godsjester71
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the use of Stabil is for the gas in the tank, not the carbs. For the carbs, I drain the bowls using the set screw in the bottom of the bowls. I also fill the tank all the way and add the proper amount of Stabil. That's all done to keep the tank from rusting over the summer, and to keep the tank full of gas as fresh as possible.

Option 2 for the tank I'm doing this year (seeing as tho my bikes are all in some state of dissassembly) is draining the tank, and coating the inside with oil.

My $.02 worth. boss is here, ciao.

Stabil question 30 Nov 2005 07:48 #11050

• OKC_Kent
  • OKC_Kent's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
godsjester71 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the use of Stabil is for the gas in the tank, not the carbs. For the carbs, I drain the bowls using the set screw in the bottom of the bowls.

But does your method get all the gas out of any little passages, circuits, etc? And Stabil should keep it fresh whether the gas is in a tank or a carb.

Well, to get back to my original question, I was just wondering about it's compatibility with reformulated gas, and I really don't need to worry as OK doesn't have this gas.

I'm in Oklahoma, and there may be a few days this winter where it's warm enough to catch a ride. I'll just use Stabil and ride when I can.

Thanks guys.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Stabil question 30 Nov 2005 10:06 #11081

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
I think according to the instructions it says to mix gas in the tank, then run the vehical a while to ensure treated gas has completely filled the fuel system including the carbs. There is only one *small* but important problem. It doesn't work!!!! As mentioned earlier the volume of gas is a big determining factor in how fast it goes bad and I assume also how much air it is exposed to making more or less evaporation would make a difference too. I've had jets completely clogged in my carbs after sitting for 6 months treated with stabil, also had 35 gallons of gas sit in a 1993 Ford van for 6yrs untreated and gas was still fine after that amount of time. 5 gallons of gas will last a yr using Stabil? Whoop-de-doo, it'll last that long just sitting untreated. Don't bother. Sorry to continue off the main subject here, but trust me, if you drain your carbs, the gas in the tank will not be stale whithin a yr.
godsjester71 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the use of Stabil is for the gas in the tank, not the carbs. For the carbs, I drain the bowls using the set screw in the bottom of the bowls. I also fill the tank all the way and add the proper amount of Stabil. That's all done to keep the tank from rusting over the summer, and to keep the tank full of gas as fresh as possible.

Option 2 for the tank I'm doing this year (seeing as tho my bikes are all in some state of dissassembly) is draining the tank, and coating the inside with oil.

My $.02 worth. boss is here, ciao.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Stabil question 30 Nov 2005 15:35 #11128

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
i put stabil in my tank every fall, run it for about 20 miles, put it in the shed and it starts right up every spring like it never took a break...i swear by the stuff in my bike, snowmobile, lawnmowers, snowblowers...you name it...the stuff works for me....steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Page: