• Page:

TOPIC:

Its runnin rich,, HELP !! 27 Jan 2007 14:13 #108585

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok. I rebuilt the carbs from the ground up and messed with all of the settings.

I have a pilot screw (on the bottom of the minuki carb pointing straight up) and an "air screw" (on top of the carb at a 45 degree angle aiming in towards the center of the carb throat).

I am blowing grey smoke. (while I was growing up grey meant rich, blue meant you were burning oil)

To I turn the air screw in (presumably to cut off air and enrichen the mix) Or out?

It seemed that they were out further originally. About 2.25 turns. I did not go back to the original setting because I changed the needle. I set all four to one and a half turns just to adjust from.

Can anyone give some tips as to how to adjust the mix?

I have a private pilots license, in small planes, in flight, you mess with the mix alot. Makes sense figuring the radical changes in altitude. Hence, I am not afraid to mess with the mix on the Mikunis.

I'm gonna go get some gas and test 'er out.

Cheers
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Its runnin rich,, HELP !! 27 Jan 2007 17:23 #108623

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
OK Qdude, need to clear something up first. You either have pilot screws OR air screws, not both! Earlier 650's used pilot screws on the bottom (had plastic caps) then about late 79-80 they went to accelerator pump with air screws on top. Factory settings are 1 1/8 turns out for pilot and 2 turns out for air screws. Turning OUT the pilot screws would richen the mixture by increasing fuel flow. Turning IN the air screws would richen the mixture by cutting off the air flow. So if you have AIR screws, backing them out would lean out your motor. You want to turn them in or out to get the smoothest idle, you may have to readjust your idle speed when done.

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/01/27 20:25
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: