Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gizmo to check float level 24 Jan 2007 11:09 #107886

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
sbodi4d wrote:

I have my carbs out for rebuilding right now, is this procedure possible to do with the carbs off? I am assuming the bowls just need to be level to get the correct measurement. It seems it would be easier to get them level on the bench than on the bike.:)

Believe rebuilder will physically measure and adjust heights before attaching float bowls (to get ball park settings) and thereafter (following attachment of the fuel bowls) verify correctness of the actual service fuel level by using the clear tube method (all while the carbs are still off the bike).

It is impractical and difficult to remove the float bowls while the carbs remain in place on the bike attached to the intake manifolds. This is because of limited access to the float bowl screws and then having to work "upside down" attempting to remove the floats.

Here's what some folks use to measure the float height before attaching the float bowl.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1486
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gizmo to check float level 24 Jan 2007 13:25 #107913

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Patton wrote:

sbodi4d wrote:

I have my carbs out for rebuilding right now, is this procedure possible to do with the carbs off? I am assuming the bowls just need to be level to get the correct measurement. It seems it would be easier to get them level on the bench than on the bike.:)

Believe rebuilder will physically measure and adjust heights before attaching float bowls (to get ball park settings) and thereafter (following attachment of the fuel bowls) verify correctness of the actual service fuel level by using the clear tube method (all while the carbs are still off the bike).

It is impractical and difficult to remove the float bowls while the carbs remain in place on the bike attached to the intake manifolds. This is because of limited access to the float bowl screws and then having to work "upside down" attempting to remove the floats.

Here's what some folks use to measure the float height before attaching the float bowl.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1486

You beat me to the punch Patton, but I already had my post typed and ready, so I sent it to help reenforce what you said:

sbodi4d wrote:
I have my carbs out for rebuilding right now....

Yes and no. Does that answer cover it?
Yes this procedure should work with carbs in a clamp. In fact everything is probably easier with them off the engine.
And no it really is no more difficult to level the carbs while on the engine, so long as your center stand holds the bike high enough off the ground so you can chock the front wheel up, to level carbs.
Mine happens to be up a little higher than normal because I have my center stand sitting on a 3/4" piece of plywood and a 13" diameter by 1/2 " high 1K lb. capacity lazy susan bearing so I can turn entire bike any angle I want, so as to get the best light and the most work space in my shop. Just press down on the lugage rack and walk it around. It comes in handy at times.
Bear in mind that I am novice at these bikes, but I have done a lot of my own engine work "down on the farm", and I think I figure out good solutions to most problems. That said, take _EVERYTHING_ I say with a grain of salt.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/01/24 16:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: