Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

replacing air box 20 Jan 2007 16:13 #107141

• fdmc_99
  • fdmc_99's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok sound good Patton about perhaps not having to resize the jets. and thanks for the info on the crankcase filter, i went to a auto store where i live and picked up a rubber elbow fitting already, i have that part fixed up. it doesnt sound like that big of a deal changeing the airbox, but the thing is that the mechanic at the bike shop that im taking my bike to when i get my carbs done, told me that it would cost 75 bucks each time he had to remove the carbs and try a different jet size. and i thought to myself if this guy has to try like 3 or 4, or even five jet sizes to get it right , the price adds up pretty fast. oh yeah, when i cleaned the carbs i put in new filter, and fuel lines also. and the carbs were leaking the second time from where the bowl goes onto the carb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

replacing air box 20 Jan 2007 17:44 #107155

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Might as well be optimistic. You've already cleaned the carbs once. It gets easier every time.

The kits you have on hand probably include new float bowl gaskets along with other parts.

Repeated taking on and off usually results from test running with various combinations of jet sizes and internal adjustments. Suggest you simply continue with the stock jet sizes, leave the internal settings as is, and concentrate on getting all the jet holes and fuel passages and air passages perfectly clean. If new jets came in the kits, be certain they are the identical size before using them instead of what's already in the carbs.

Believe you may safely ignore the "choke" circuit (plungers, etc.)

Many folks use fine wire or guitar small E string to help clean the jet holes. Some recommend against wire because it can damage the holes. But wire is quicker and easier. Regardless, use plenty of cleaner spray and compressed air (being careful not to blow small parts all over the gargage).

If replacing the float needles and bases, do it as a set when possible (believe they come as a matched pair)

The fact that the bike ran well for a while after the initial carb cleaning is a good sign which indicates that the existing settings are capable of satisfactory performance.

Why the rough running ensued and gaskets began leaking despite the new in-line fuel filter is open to speculation -- but I suspect some crud remains inside the carbs and possibly the float bowl screws are loose or stripped, but the sudden onset of leaking around the gaskets is a mystery to me.

Should you decide on having a professional job done by the best at a reasonable price in a timely manner by one who already knows all the proper jettings, internal adjustments, etc., for your particular carbs, it's really very simple, just go here and all your carb problems will magically disappear --

www.wgcarbs.com/149320.html
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

replacing air box 20 Jan 2007 18:10 #107166

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
For reference if needed

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: