TOPIC:

Carb "seeping" 16 Jan 2007 16:47 #106159

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Well men and women, boys and girls;
'Reckon I'll work on my carbs; darnit.
I've been out of town for two days and have not had a chance to check out anything in depth, yet. It's freezing outside already, but I will try to find time tonight after deep freeze checks and chores are finished, but here is what happened.
In preparation for carb synch procedure, I thought out and built me a really nifty little "test tank" that works _UNBELIEVABLY_ well, IMHO.
Because of the way I built the tank and supply line, it will show/reveal even the slightest "loss", if you will of petrol and therein lies the problem. Mine is losing a little. Slowly, VERY slowly but it's losing it non the less. So at least one carb is bypassing gas somewhere. A cursory inspection revealed neither where the leak is, nor where the gas is going.
What, if any seepage is tolerable. Do the Mikuni VM's seal off _completely_ when in good order?; and no, I do not want to simply rely on the vacuum-diaphragm petcock to hold back the gas. Does the bike angle matter?
I axe this question because my scooter is sitting on the center stand, which is on top of a piece of 3/4" ply, which is covering a 13" or so diameter, 1K lb. capacity lazy susan bearing assembly that adds another half inch of height.
Soooo,,, the front end, being heavy, is tipped a bit more than center stand normal, and a lot more than when it is on the side/kick stand. I have not siphoned a sample of crank oil to see how flammable it is, but it smells like oil, not gas when I sniff the filler hole. The oil level is at about half glass.
Please advise on best way to proceed.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/01/16 19:49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb \"seeping\" 16 Jan 2007 18:18 #106170

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Have you checked to see that it isn't leaking backwards into the air filter box?
If it's not draining into or onto the engine, that would be my next guess as to where it's going.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Carb \"seeping\" 16 Jan 2007 20:05 #106208

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Thanks Quad-R for the reply.
I found that the fuel seems to be running out the overflow tube for no 1 (or is it no 4)carb. On the far left while sitting on bike.
I went to the carb section and searched the site to find WG's article on "carbs overflowing 101" from July last year.
I forgot to mention in my upper post, that this is with engine off.
I am pretty picky, and if possible, I would like to assure they don't leak, at all, even with ten to fifteen lbs of fuel pressure.
I'll let you know what I ultimately find.
What I need to locate next is a easy but accurate arrangement to check carb fuel bowl levels with carbs on the bike.
I read about this somewhere on the site but it said to buy the little gismo at your local Kawi dealer/parts supplier.

• Page: