Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

78 kz650 carb teardown/cleaning 15 Jan 2007 10:57 #105807

• hemlock
  • hemlock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Can you guys give me a rough idea of what I'm getting myself into time/$ wise in removing, cleaning, replacing components of the carb system on a 78 kz650? i'm decently mechanically inclined, and have the diagrams, but have never attempted to tackle a motorcycle motor before.

just trying to make sure i avoid the land mines before i start to take things apart in search of my leaky carb problem...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

78 kz650 carb teardown/cleaning 15 Jan 2007 11:23 #105810

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
It won't be too hard because you're mechanically inclined, but it takes a little time. Mine took a few days because I am s-l-o-w. I'm sure it can be done in a day or less.
Buy the carb kits, check www.z1enterprises.com & print off diagrams for your carbs from the Kawasaki website or your manual. I suggest getting a gallon of carb dip like Berrymans, and you will need compressed air. If you don't have a compressor then buy cans of compressed air in the computer section at Walmart.

I tore apart and dipped one carb at a time. Use the other carbs as a reference in case the diagrams aren't clear. Don't dip plastic or rubber parts like orings, they will get soft and tear. Dip the metal parts, scrub them with a brush, keep at it until they are clean. Rinse in water then blow dry. Don't shove wires into your jets, let the chemical do it. Your kits probably come with jets anyways, so act accordingly.

Check out this link too. It's just one of many carb cleaning webpages on the 'net.
kz650files.kz650.info/word/CarbCleaning101.doc

Have fun and write back.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

78 kz650 carb teardown/cleaning 15 Jan 2007 11:38 #105817

• hemlock
  • User
Thanks for the confidence booster there...i was hoping it would be a relatively straightforward process.

I'll try to post some before-during-after pics and updates using your suggestions. i guess if nothing else, it could be a testimonial to the fact that the process works.

Leaky Carb Pics...Ideas? 15 Jan 2007 20:10 #106007

• hemlock
  • User
Here are some pics I just took of two leaky carbs. I just brought her home yesterday, so haven't taken anything apart yet, but at first glance, it seems to me like the leakiness on these might be addressed by a good cleaning a couple of new gaskets.

Of course, I solicit more experienced opinions...

FYI, these are pics of the bottom of the 2nd and 4th carbs (counting from the left) on a 1978 KZ650 D1. The 2nd appears to be leaking very old/discolored fuel, while the 4th is dripping clear fuel. Both drip at a rate of maybe 1 drop per hour or two. The bike hasnt been started in about 5-6 months, and has sat outside uncovered during that time, until I brought it here yesterday.

Thoughts as to first steps?

Post edited by: hemlock, at: 2007/01/15 23:12
Attachments:

Leaky Carb Pics...Ideas? 15 Jan 2007 20:13 #106008

• hemlock
  • User
sorry here's the other pic, of the # 4 carb.
Attachments:

Leaky Carb Pics...Ideas? 15 Jan 2007 20:37 #106011

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Well from what I see you have leaking gaskets. But as OKC said it doesn't take to long for me at least to take apart the carbs, at least for me. Do 'em once and its smooth sailing after that. I didnt use what OKC uses, I used Gumout carb cleaner, the one you put in the gas tank to run it through the engine. It woks nice and I don't blow it off after cleaning the parts cos it seems to have a lubricating feeling to it so it keeps the carb parts well lubed for assembly. I have pics but don't be confused, my bike just has a accelerator pump
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Leaky Carb Pics...Ideas? 15 Jan 2007 20:40 #106012

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I also got a carb base gasket kit from www.z1enterprises.com for like less than 10 bucks if I remember good, plus some o-rings
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

Leaky Carb Pics...Ideas? 16 Jan 2007 06:03 #106039

• hemlock
  • User
thanks kzwolfsr for the help. I figured the gaskets were shot and would need replacing, but i had visions of a several day process. hopefully i can knock it out in one day of work. i guess its off to Z1E now to order some supplies...

• Page: