Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hesitation 13 Jan 2007 20:33 #105516

• Bluemeanie
  • Bluemeanie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I recently rebuilt carbs, new points, new coils and wires. Bike starts and runs better than ever. Problem is after a short warm up period throttle response is great. But after it warms up completely it has a major hesitation most of the time. Acceleration and cruise are great but it seems to have a major hiccup, air screws are 2 turns out. Would adjusting these take care of it? I would think it would hesitate cold and better when warm, any ideas?
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hesitation 14 Jan 2007 08:51 #105558

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
After the rebuild did you do a full proper carb sync using manometers ? If they are way out of sync that might explain what is happening.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Hesitation 14 Jan 2007 13:11 #105596

• Bluemeanie
  • User
I did a manual sync with plans to do a real sync. How would that affect my throttls response?

Hesitation 14 Jan 2007 16:07 #105635

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I'm probably not understanding your post correctly - you say acceleration and cruise are fine but you have a major hiccup. I'm not sure exactly what that means. With badly out of sync carbs in the past I have had poor performance and uneven running. As to exactly how out of synch carbs would effect throttle response I would rather leave that to one of the gurus. I would think response would be less than optimal.
Doing a full synch is just a suggestion. Would plug colour indicate if air screws at 2 turns out are at the correct setting ?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Hesitation 15 Jan 2007 05:47 #105750

• Bluemeanie
  • User
What I mean by hiccup is that after fully warmed up it has a really bad hesitation. Not notisable when running thru the gears but at idle it has a bad hesitation MOST of the time...

Hesitation 15 Jan 2007 07:49 #105771

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Bluemeanie wrote:

...fully warmed up...really bad hesitation. Not notisable when running thru the gears but at idle it has a bad hesitation MOST of the time...

Could be mistaken but interpret quoted cite to mean delayed throttle response from idle at normal operating temperature most of the time.

The following info might assist further diagnosis:
What were the running conditions before the ignition and carb work (reason for the work)? Were new spark plug caps also installed? Appearance of plugs at firing ends?

As operating temperature affects the symptoms, are valve clearances within specs? (Thinking they might become too tight at normal operating temperature).
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Hesitation 16 Jan 2007 19:22 #106197

• Bluemeanie
  • User
I've owned the bike since new and with minor maintenance always ran good. Last few years would never start cold with electric starter, 1-2 kicks would do it. Rough idle, lousy milage. Over time all rubber was hard as a rock (vacuum leaks) Finally spend major bucks at Z1 and replaced all carb holders, intake boots, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt accelerator pump, new points, plugs. Wanted better coils and wires (could not afford Z1 coils) found practically new Andrews coils with Accel wires on ebay. Unbelevable differance! Bike starts up with elect on the coldest mornings, runs smoother, idles smoothly. Side note, while rebuilding carbs, found all gas passage holes for accelerator pump covered with wrong gaskets. So I now have good response with accel pump when cold but not as much when warmed up. I have air screws on top, which stock setting is 2 turns out, which is where I'm thinking is the problem. How far from stock setting can I go? My next project is a valve adjustment (not looking forward to!) Sorry about the long winded expaination... :blink:

Hesitation 16 Jan 2007 21:02 #106227

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Do NOT be sorry for long windedness at least for me as it takes a lot of explaining for me to understand..I have to re-read a lot as I forget...uh..what were we talking about?:woohoo:
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: