Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dual flange filters better than pods? 02 Jan 2007 11:26 #102962

• znrider
  • znrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I ride an '84 zn 700 and I've been looking to hop of the performance a bit in the cheapest ways possible. I considered putting pod filters on each carb, but was scared off by stories of the outside cylinders getting less air due to more turbulent airflow at higher speeds. Looking through K&N's website I found these dual flange filters that might solve the problem of the outside cylinders running too rich. It still might have problems with sidewinds though. Does anyone have experience with these? Does my reasoning sound logical? Let me know. Thanks.
-Spencer
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dual flange filters better than pods? 02 Jan 2007 14:06 #102983

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome znrider.
Yes, your reasoning sounds solid and there is at least one person here who runs those exact K&N's on their Kaw...I think they have a 650 if I remember right. Hopefully they will chime in here. They mentioned getting the carb throat o.d. and the center to center dimension measured properly and then match those dimensions to the ones on the K&N fitment charts.
I think this alternative to 4 individual pods is a great idea for numerous reasons. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Dual flange filters better than pods? 03 Jan 2007 09:11 #103158

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
neilage66 wrote:

Welcome znrider.
Yes, your reasoning sounds solid and there is at least one person here who runs those exact K&N's on their Kaw...I think they have a 650 if I remember right. Hopefully they will chime in here. They mentioned getting the carb throat o.d. and the center to center dimension measured properly and then match those dimensions to the ones on the K&N fitment charts.
I think this alternative to 4 individual pods is a great idea for numerous reasons. :)

Here's a link to the earlier thread which includes the post from guitargeek about the dual K&N pods.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...mit,20/limitstart,0/
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Dual flange filters better than pods? 03 Jan 2007 09:27 #103160

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If available for your bike, why not just go with the K&N filter that fits into the stock airbox?
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Dual flange filters better than pods? 03 Jan 2007 13:40 #103213

• znrider
  • znrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think that going with a K&N air filter in the airbox although higher flow than stock, still suffers from the constriction of having to suck all the air through the tiny hole in the top of the airbox. I know you can drill out the airbox, but I fill like going with dual flange filters on the back of each carb bank is simpler and much higher flow.
-Spencer

Dual flange filters better than pods? 05 Jan 2007 13:36 #103563

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Remember that you will need to rejet the carbs as well. It will run without a rejet but it will not run good. You can also do damage to the engine if you don't rejet. Too much air + not enough fuel= running lean= big hole in piston.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Dual flange filters better than pods? 05 Jan 2007 16:01 #103598

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I can remove my carburetors in about two minutes.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• Page: