Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 06:37 #97787

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Whats up guys? I have too pull off my head and possibly just hone my cylinders and maybe get new rings. First if I only have to hone, what pattern is best to use or to say what would be a good honing angle? Also I can only get the hone without the beads, Napa only has a bladed type of thing I never seen before, but o well. Also with boring the cylinders, I see I would have to get a bigger piston( I am praying its just honing I have to do). So My question is whats a good cross hatch pattern ?
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 06:40 #97790

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
with the newer oils we have available 45- 60 degree crosshatch will work fine.

some years ago we did a 20-30 degree pattern to hold the oil film up longer.

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 06:44 #97791

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Ok thats what I thought.When I had the engine apart the clinders where fine with no bulges or scratches anywhere and now all of a sudden I now compression But I will see what going on when I take off the head saturday.
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 08:29 #97811

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Are you having low compression? A compression test with some oil will tell if its the rings. If it's the rings, you may need to measure the clearance in the bore between the piston and cylinder.

If it's out of spec, honing won't help and you would need to bore it out.

What model of bike is it? I have a cylinder block and pistons with low miles on them for a kz1000 J

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 09:08 #97815

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just to let you know if you are just honeing the cylinders and replacing the rings for a stock bore on the 650 in your sign line do some checking replacement rings for stock bore are next to impossible to find new and if you do find them you will need your first 2 born children and both your nuts to pay for them.I found that out the hard way last year. Good Luck.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 09:42 #97822

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Have you checked valve clearances recently? Tight valves cause compression loss.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 10:02 #97830

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
rammy wrote:

Just to let you know if you are just honeing the cylinders and replacing the rings for a stock bore on the 650 in your sign line do some checking replacement rings for stock bore are next to impossible to find new and if you do find them you will need your first 2 born children and both your nuts to pay for them.I found that out the hard way last year. Good Luck.

I wonder if the rings from a KZ1300 would fit a 650 piston? I believe the bore is the same at 62mm... but I wouldn't know any other way to check unless you had a set to measure and fit to your piston. My Zedder cross reference software says the part numbers are different. I wonder how much different...If the ring thickness were the same and the end gaps were in range, why wouldn't they work?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 11:52 #97845

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
totalseal.com has a ring cross reference chart with some dimensions in their MC catalog. might be worth scouting them and all the other manufacturers listed in their cross. 1300 rings are hard to find too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 13:17 #97861

• kzwolfsr
  • User
To floridamba I have a sr650, hence the signature, to George I will do all of that on Saturday. I have to take the head off to change my valve oil seal or the other thing I can't rememeber rite now. After the head is off I will be able to do all of that, a whole lot better. Is the other guy trying to tell me that rings are hard to find? What about Jeff? Doesn't he have rings to fit?:( I hope. Answer this questoin though WG, could the clearances both decrease or increase depending on where your shims are located?

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 13:42 #97867

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Duck wrote:

1300 rings are hard to find too.

I guess! This NOS set went for $173

Well it may not be that bad considering I recently bought a single piston ring set for a Honda 650 for $27 +shipping

Thanks for the totalseal site Duck
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 14:33 #97874

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
If the head is still on, do a leakdown test to find out if it is leaking and where.

As for the cylinders, have them measured for roundness before you do anything like buy expensive rings.

Jay

Honing and need new rings 06 Dec 2006 15:02 #97881

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i agree with ape jay to check for out of round before buying rings. but z1enterprises had a set earlier this year. i shot him a e-mail and he said he had a set that a customer ordered and never picked up so they might still be floating around. but what the hell, if your that far into it a 700 kit is not to much more, go bigger and after a good hone job you'll be assured the cylinders are true and have a good cross hatch pattern on them. then like wg said, set the valvelash and enjoy the newfound power. good luck!
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.