Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 05:12 #102322

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
This may have already been covered in this thread, and I could be wrong, but would suggest when getting this far into a top-end job to always use new rings and not re-install the same old rings. Can't back this up with any engineering savy -- gut instinct only -- Just seems that a freshly honed cylinder deserves a new set of rings.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 06:06 #102328

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Patton, great catch - honing is done after boring and is used to obtain the final touches on the clearances.

Per the same Kaw manual, it says that you should never reuse rings once they are removed from the piston. It is possible to tweak them, put them in upside down, or mix them up between pistons and all would cause problems.

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 09:53 #102353

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
Thanks, Guys.

Floridamba, I think you are confusing my bike with someone elses. Mine is a '78 KZ1000 LTD (B2)--(I also have an '81 KZ440LTD, but that's completely different). Thanks for the offer to copy the manual pages, but I do have a Kawasaki Service Manual (although my manual is for the "A" model, with a few supplements in the back for some other models). I don't have the specific supplement for the "B2", but I'm assuming most of the engine specs should be the same as the A model, right?

So far, I have only removed one piston. I did measure it as specified in the manual, and it was within spec. I did not, however, do the math to calculate the clearance based on the cyl bore measurements. I will remeasure tonight when I get home and doublecheck that.

Thanks also for the offer for your block and pistons. I will keep that in mind if it comes to that. But are the '82 block & pistons compatable with the '78?

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2006/12/29 12:57
West Linn, OR

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 11:25 #102364

• floridamba
  • User
Skyman, I saw someone's signature and thought it was yours - no problem. The blocks are not interchangeable nor are the pistons as the J-model is 998cc versus the 1020cc of the KZ1000.

Do you have specs for J-model pistons and cylinders? My manual is aftermarket and does not have the info. If you could tell me piston diameter and service limits, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 12:04 #102376

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
J model specs:

Standard
Cylinder ID 69.4-69.412 mm, less than 0.01 mm difference between any two measurements.

Service Limit
69.5 mm or more than 0.05 mm difference between any two measurements.

Piston diameter

Standard
69.342-69.357 mm

Service limit
69.2 mm

Piston/cylinder clearance
0.043-0.070 mm
KD9JUR

Honing and need new rings 29 Dec 2006 12:52 #102384

• floridamba
  • User
Thanks so much for the specs - that is AWESOME! I got this extra engine - the story is that the original engine in the bike had problems with the head, so the dealer put in a new engine. The bike must have belonged to the mechanic or dealer as they kept the engine.

At any rate, I disconnected one piston and it measured 69.4mm with a vernier caliper. So, the cylinder and pistons are probably worth cleaning up and keeping.