Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Anyone only using kickstart? 06 Aug 2006 22:56 #67664

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've actually toyed with the idea of only using the kickstart on my bike and i was wondering if anyone else is doing this on a street bike? Do these bikes have the tendancies of older Harley's to just about throw you over the handlebars if you get sudden pressure buildup in the cylinders from a partial start?

I've tried using mine and found that its really pretty easy to kick over, even though i couldn't get it to start because my carbs were screwed. My buddies 250 quad is harder to kick start than this bike is. Im more than likely going to leave the starter on the bike until i see how its going to go for a while using the kick start only. Then take it off later down the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone only using kickstart? 06 Aug 2006 23:02 #67666

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I still have Mine on the bike...don't use it,except when I forget to turn off my ignition,and My battery goes dead...DOH!
I get quite a few People commenting on it though...Some can't believe that Anyone makes a motorcycle WITH a kickstarter!...thinking that it's a newer bike...lol.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Anyone only using kickstart? 06 Aug 2006 23:07 #67668

• Torch
  • User
Sandy wrote:

I still have Mine on the bike...don't use it,except when I forget to turn off my ignition,and My battery goes dead...DOH!
I get quite a few People commenting on it though...Some can't believe that Anyone makes a motorcycle WITH a kickstarter!...thinking that it's a newer bike...lol.

Yup, i even had a die hard Harley guy that couldn't believe they put a kickstart on a Kaw. Then he griped and moaned about how he wished he had one :laugh:

Anyone only using kickstart? 06 Aug 2006 23:21 #67671

• timber
  • User
yep last summer i used kick only. my starter seized up and wouldn't turn over. i took it out. i kicked it all the time. it was easy enough. i got a new starter from a parts bike earlier this year so i put one back in. i still kick start mine most of the time. people do give ya looks when ya kick it over and crack the throttle to make it rap a little on start up.

Anyone only using kickstart? 06 Aug 2006 23:37 #67674

• Torch
  • User
I do believe if i decide to do kick only, a new kicker pedal is going to be in order. That little thin kick pad is rough to keep your foot on if you have to kick it over several times. One of the old Harley bicycle pedal type kickers would be alot easier to keep your foot on. Not to mention it would look old school like crazy.

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 00:17 #67683

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Kick only here... Gotta bump it once in a while too like after carb work or the like. My bike kicks easy tho. 1-2 kicks usually does it. Unless there's hot chicks watching, then it goes to default (sittin still lookin purdy)haha.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 03:48 #67693

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Last year I put a 78 model right control pod on my 80 750 twin so it would have an on/off switch for the lights, the starter button wouldn't work so I took the pod apart and fixed it. The next day the starter quit working again, been kickstarting it ever since :D

When I actually do need the starter (like after being parked all winter) I just pop off the sidecover and short across the solonoid :)

Someday I'll get another "rountuit" and fix it again.
KD9JUR

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 04:19 #67696

• Fourtoes
  • User
Use the kick start 99% of the time. Starts first kick mostly never needed to get to a third kick.

Rarely use the electronic starter. Theres something self satisfying about kick starting my bike. A great start to the day!

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 05:51 #67705

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
When my bike was up and running, I seldom used the electric start, and I expect to mostly use the kickstart when I breathe life into it again. I can't believe that they are making bikes w/o one. I'm not even sure if it's really a motorcycle if it doesn't have a kickstart. (ok, I'm an old-fart):whistle:
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 06:33 #67714

• georgeha
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I try to start my bike with my kickstarter first, since the starter clutch tends to loosen. If I couldn't get it on the third or fourth try, then comes the electric start.

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 06:43 #67718

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I mostly use the kicker.
When it's cold, I kick it 4 times with the choke on, and the ignition off. Then I turn on the switch, and she always lights off after one or two kicks. When its warm, it always starts on the first kick.
I reserve my electric starter for when I occaisionally stall at the traffic light
:blush: and need a quick re-start.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Anyone only using kickstart? 07 Aug 2006 09:59 #67761

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
My next bike will be bumpstart only.