Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can this be right???? 20 May 2018 23:17 #783754

• menace
  • menace's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The bike has 35000 miles and the head and cylinders probably have a total of 15 thou off
all together. I have the teeth set at 28 from the 28 arrow to the dot just about the cam flush mark. It appears the the intake sprocket is two whole teeth behind the front exhaust sprocket. When bolting down the cam cap on the left intake side the cam lobe for the number two cylinder was centered on the ship and bucket. I'm thinking I need to bring it one whole tooth forward but still the intake sprocket is off by a mile. It's a 1977 kz1000 A model APE rollers and weisco 1075 stock chain yes I'm an idiot and left the chain stock.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by menace.

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 00:36 #783757

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
You are using the wrong mark on the exhaust sprocket and are risking bending or tangling the valves.
Exhaust cam is about 30 to 40 degrees off ( too far advanced )
The peak of the cam lobe should be facing the inlet cam ( the lobes of both cams should be facing each other on the ign side )
The exhaust cam position is almost a mirror image of the inlet and the mark on the sprocket is near the sprocket bolt that is farthest away from the other two.
The exhaust mark is on the actual metal of the sprocket close to a tooth not the rubber..
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 01:39 #783759

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Be careful to start counting from the 1st chain pin

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: menace

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 07:12 #783768

• menace
  • User
Can someone send me a picture of the cam mark's I'm supposed to use. I can not find a single mark in the steel. I have done a ton of bikes but I'm clearly having trouble with this one.

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 07:28 #783769

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Just below the first bolt on the sprocket is a small arrow. It needs to be level with the top of the head. Count the next pin after that one.
Steve

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 13:04 #783787

• menace
  • User
I set the cam high on the exhaust because of the 15 thou of material taken out. Its either a bit high or a bit low. By low I mean 1 mm below flush. Then I counted from the dot above the exhaust flush mark on the front of the exhaust cam to the stamp in the rubber that says 28. According to the manual I have it correct so how could I be off this much should I maybe set the intake cam 1 tooth closer than 28? Or am I going off the wrong marks. Please help thanks for everything guys

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 13:08 #783788

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 14:39 #783793

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

menace wrote: I set the cam high on the exhaust because of the 15 thou of material taken out. Its either a bit high or a bit low. By low I mean 1 mm below flush. Then I counted from the dot above the exhaust flush mark on the front of the exhaust cam to the stamp in the rubber that says 28. According to the manual I have it correct so how could I be off this much should I maybe set the intake cam 1 tooth closer than 28? Or am I going off the wrong marks. Please help thanks for everything guys

If you still have the exhaust cam set as shown in the fourth pic of your first post you have the exhaust cam timing off by seven or eight teeth too far advanced.
The line on the rubber of the exhaust sprocket is not a timing mark and the dot above is not for counting back from, they are just casting flash from when the rubber was moulded.
The exhaust mark is on the metal of the sprocket ( a tiny arrow ) close to the mounting bolt furthest away from the other two and you count 28 back from the first cam chain pin above that.
Do not alter the timing by a tooth to compensate for any skimming or decking.
It won't work and the engine will run flat.
To correct any slight timing deviance due to head skimming etc you would need to use slotted cam sprockets and degree the cams to the factory spec.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 17:40 #783806

• menace
  • User
Steve your a cool cat they don't make them like you anymore it's a damn shame. Well my confidence is shot and I am way the @#%# off thanks guys. Thank you as well zed
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 19:04 #783811

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Don't give up, we've all screwed up at least once or more. The key is to keep it up and GET IT DONE.
Steve

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 21:27 #783821

• menace
  • User
It's alllllliiiiive !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you guys sooo @#$%#%@ much!!!!!!:woohoo:

Can this be right???? 21 May 2018 21:48 #783823

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
:woohoo: :woohoo: