Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Is this all i need to get 140hp 13 Jun 2017 13:50 #764288

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
By the way, a stock ZRX1100 makes less than 100 hp, so you would be into a build there, too. The kit you mentioned is a proven combination that needs porting and bigger carbs to get best advantage of it.
For a purely street driven bike, I'd say the goal should be a really broad torque band. I wish I still had a copy of the Concours 1000 fsm. It has a dyno graph that is just what I mean. That engine has a torque plateau. More than 80% of max torque is available from about 3500 rpm to redline. Most street riding takes place at low to nid range rpm, and that is where the power should be focused. Going for really high horsepower near red line may sacrifice power in a more useful rpm range.
Be realistic about how you will ride it and get some expert advice about modifications that will get you best bang for the buck.

If you really want to hang with modern 1000cc sport bikes, fix your ZX10.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Is this all i need to get 140hp 13 Jun 2017 14:21 #764294

• obie83
  • obie83's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Yeah the more I'm reading and thinking about it maybe 140 is reaching to far. Do you guy know what kind o numbers that 1075 with exhaust and aftermarket carbs would put down. What cams would you recommend for that bottom end power you were talking about

Is this all i need to get 140hp 13 Jun 2017 14:34 #764296

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

obie83 wrote: Yeah the more I'm reading and thinking about it maybe 140 is reaching to far. Do you guy know what kind o numbers that 1075 with exhaust and aftermarket carbs would put down. What cams would you recommend for that bottom end power you were talking about

Frankly
Forget about the numbers and go for seat of the pants fun.
Get a 4 into 1 header , with a 1075 cc 10.5 to 1 compression piston kit and good valve springs and call it good
Use stock cams for now as they pull great down low.
Get your jetting right and a Dyna S ignition.
Then ride it for a season
Trust Us , It will be great
Then look at cams and porting the head and maybe different carbs later.
Install tapered steering neck bearings no matter what front end you use .
This is how all us hotrodders got our start
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheTrout, Nessism, obie83

Is this all i need to get 140hp 13 Jun 2017 15:54 #764304

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
I think with the combination that zed1015 described, is probably worth a 25-30 HP gain over stock. But depending on head work and cam selection, a good "useable" combination for the street.

Get ahold of Larry !
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Is this all i need to get 140hp 14 Jun 2017 05:09 #764342

• TheTrout
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

obie83 wrote: Yeah the more I'm reading and thinking about it maybe 140 is reaching to far. Do you guy know what kind o numbers that 1075 with exhaust and aftermarket carbs would put down. What cams would you recommend for that bottom end power you were talking about

Frankly
Get a 4 into 1 header , with a 1075 cc 10.5 to 1 compression piston kit and good valve springs and call it good
Dave B) B) B)

I did basically what you said above (minus the new pipe) with the same thinking that I could add the rest later.

What 4 into 1 header do you like? I was thinking V & H, but which one would give me more power? I believe the carbs on my model are 26mm and that will have to be handled at some point, but golly geepers a rack of nice carbs cost a lot!
1978 KZ1000B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Is this all i need to get 140hp 14 Jun 2017 05:53 #764346

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

TheTrout wrote:

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

Frankly
Dave B) B) B)

I did basically what you said above (minus the new pipe) with the same thinking that I could add the rest later.

What 4 into 1 header do you like? I was thinking V & H, but which one would give me more power? I believe the carbs on my model are 26mm and that will have to be handled at some point, but golly geepers a rack of nice carbs cost a lot!

I went with the Yoshimura pipe , They are still offered but pricey. .
AS mentioned here and in other posts of mine building in stages is what I did.
Since I started with a new bike I did some things in different order.
First I replaced the 26mm carbs with 29 smoothbores which made me faster than my buds Z1R with 28s.
He put on Winning pipe / I did the Yoshi pipe to stay in front.
Then we both did 1075 wiseco kits and welded the cranks . ( anytime motors came apart we always installed new HD Cam chains.
From there we did 1200 big blocks and headwork and cams .
Then started over and went turbos as we both crewed on a top fuel bike and knew how to make these bikes fly
But no need for all this / or to do to much just to have fun
Dave B) B) B)
Bike in 1980

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Is this all i need to get 140hp 16 Jun 2017 11:39 #764532

• obie83
  • Visitor
Thanks for all the replies guys. It helped a lot

Is this all i need to get 140hp 18 Jun 2017 18:19 #764725

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

obie83 wrote: It just depends a couple of guys have V Rods, a few Suzuki m90's and some crotch rockets from 600 to 1k. I have never even ridden the kz1000 yet I brought it in pieces and figured I would just build it up instead of putting it together then tearing it back down. I also have a wrecked zx10 that I would be using for wheels forks and what ever else I could use on the kz

My advice to you would be to find a used ZRX1200 that hasn't been thrashed to death and buy it. That might seem like crazy advice from a guy that builds engines and ports heads but trust me, it's your easiest route to what you're goal is.

When someone contacts me about building a KZ motor, the first thing I tell them is that you have to understand one thing right from the start...."IT MAKES NO FINANCIAL SENSE WHAT SOEVER...YOU DO IT BECAUSE THAT IS THE BIKE YOU WANT AND YOU HAVE THE FINANCIAL RESOURCES TO DO IT CORRECTLY"

Consider that the vast majority of my customers are guys over 50 years of age. They are building their dream bike and have the resources to do everything, including suspension and cosmetics properly.

Just a week ago I sold my 99 ZRX1100 with 13000 miles on it for $2600. It could have used a fresh set of tires and a fork oil change but it also had a Dale Walker pipe, Factory Jet kit, braided lines and an under seat storage box that replaced the stock air box. You can really pack quite a bit under the seat. The bike was turn key....ready to ride.

As far as power it felt like my 1197 KZ custom I build back in 2008 with a good head, moderate cams and 36mm carbs. As far as midrange roll on, the KZ was probably a bit stronger there but up on top they felt really about the same.

I spent a great deal of time building the KZ and loved every minute of it. But it was a very big deal and it took many hours of hard work. The KZ custom got lots of attention everywhere I took it while the ZRX got far less. It's just a charisma thing....it was still a great bike.

A 140 honest real wheel HP KZ isn't going to happen with a 1075 motor and have the good street manners that a 110 HP motor would. The trade off isn't IMO worth it. You're going to have a minimum of $3500 to $4000 in the engine if you need carburetors and a pipe to go with the build. You're going to have an easy $3000 in the engine alone.

There's nothing quite as cool as a hot KZ all done up properly. It's not for every budget though and it takes time to do it right.

If your KZ is worth the money and effort to build, the hang on to it and do it properly as you get the money. In the meanwhile if you want to go ride with your buddies and not be left in the dust....go with something like a ZRX1200 that's ready to roll and enjoy our summer..
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, TexasKZ, zukdave, obie83

Is this all i need to get 140hp 19 Jun 2017 17:38 #764815

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
A ZRX1200R with a pipe and jet kit will put 130 to the ground.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Is this all i need to get 140hp 19 Jun 2017 17:57 #764816

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
My 99 ZRX1100 project 91 ZX-11 motor with home ported ZRX head and the ZX cams, springs igniter box,
left side Muuzzy pipe and a 4" over arm.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Is this all i need to get 140hp 19 Jun 2017 18:02 #764817

• obie83
  • Visitor
Yeah I've been looking on my local Craigslist. And I found this one on youtube,it looks really good.

Last edit: by obie83. Reason: Video

Is this all i need to get 140hp 19 Jun 2017 20:02 #764823

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104
Its good to have an engine with power but please don't forget the bloody thing has to stop and handle. After I did the power thing on my Z1r the handling and brakes all of a sudden were crap, especially on our great Australian roads :silly: .
Like Steve said, it'll take years before your a happy enough with the result.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1