Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 08 Jun 2014 19:03 #635847

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

Motor Head wrote: Bumperooskie!!
Come on Guys get into the Relay!! Meet some fellow KZR members and KZ owners, get out there and ride!! B)

Come on guy's, the Flag is now in Lodi California!!!
Post up here for interest in carrying the Flag either inside California on on to another SW State!
Get out there and Ride, it's Great Fun !!! B)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 08 Jun 2014 19:22 #635849

• fastidiots
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Oh, Lord.....stuck in Lodi again.....
82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 10 Jun 2014 18:03 #636092

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Just wanted to transfer this post to the South West Leg.
Thanks for the great photos and update.

Yup, it's official! The flag is in California! We also left early Saturday morning with only one cup of coffee in us and a long trip ahead of us, so somewhere near Placerville Ca, we stopped to increase the caffeine level at a local gas station.

But past Placerville, but before Coloma, my wife had a little mishap on a curvy section and threw her bike down causing her some embarrassment and a little bit of road rash to her and the bike.

Not to be deterred, she motored on until lunchtime where we found a great little café on the side of the road and stopped for lunch at the Coyoteville Café.

It's right here on the map :)

Past the café, the road was so beautiful, that I just had to stop for a photo op.

Eventually we came to Quincy Ca, where we came across an independent bike shop with a fantastic staff who helped us out immensely! If you are ever in the neighborhood, be sure to stop in at Sierra Cycle Center and say Hi. My wife wanted to stop to see if they might be able to help her out with her missing mirror from her tip over some miles back.

Andy the owner said he has some FJR mirrors at home that just might work. 5 minutes later he is back with the mirrors and quickly has a replacement installed and hands me the matching right side mirror for when we get home. Total price for 2 new mirrors and one installation??? $50!

So I have to give a big shout-out to Sierra Cycle Center for helping us out! Thanks Andy!

Eventually we make it to the Lodge in Lassen and meet up with Daryl "motorhead" and his buddy Dave for dinner and the flag hand off

Keep in mind this lodge is in the middle of nowhere and there isn't gas for MILES around and I arrived on the 1100 on reserve! :ohmy: Daryl and Dave were kind enough to provide me with a "six pack" of gas, so that I could make it to the next filling station! :blush: :blush:

So we part ways the following morning, only this time I'M on the 550! :woohoo: and we head for home

Oh yes, the ever popular "selfy"

So we ultimately make it home safe and sound, tired hot and thirsty, but we had a GREAT weekend riding for the flag and look forward to the next trip! Slayer61 Paul!
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest, Motor Head

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic. Reason: added photo

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 11 Jun 2014 13:00 #636178

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Hey Jon, Current Relay Rider is Slayer right?

Way to go KZ Riders!!! Motorhead & Slayer AND Slayers Mrs should be proud of their Relay accomplishments. Tough luck about the mishap but glad you dusted off and carried on. Congrats on helping advance The Relay Flag, getting out there to ride and meeting fellow enthusiasts. B)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 11 Jun 2014 18:07 #636228

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

Forrest wrote: Hey Jon, Current Relay Rider is Slayer right?

Way to go KZ Riders!!! Motorhead & Slayer AND Slayers Mrs should be proud of their Relay accomplishments. Tough luck about the mishap but glad you dusted off and carried on. Congrats on helping advance The Relay Flag, getting out there to ride and meeting fellow enthusiasts. B)

Yes Forrest, you are correct. Slayer61 is the current flag holder. They did an awesome job, and of course, a big thank you to Motorhead for getting it to Slayer and his wife. Looks like fun was had by all regardless of a few mishaps. I believe Slayer is hoping to hand of to Triangula. Hoyle my fingers crossed that he gets that spark plug thread issue resolved.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 11 Jun 2014 19:15 #636241

• Motor Head
  • User
Slayer61, it was great to meet up with you and your wife. Too bad the Lodge didn't open up sooner in the mornings, we took off and made quite a few miles way before the 8am opening time.
If we had one more day, we could have done some of those great back roads around there, and stayed another night at the Lodge.
Sounds like the two of you had a great ride even with the Woopsie. Glad your wife wasn't hurt, more her pride, and a few scratches on the bike.
Hope some KZR members step up and want to take part there around your area, so you don't have to hang onto the Flag or have to do a Big Ride to transfer it.
Remember if it gets stuck with you, there are some of us who will go the extra Miles!! B)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 20 Jun 2014 11:25 #637288

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 275

fastidiots wrote: Oh, Lord.....stuck in Lodi again.....

Won't be for long .5astidiot :evil:
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Last edit: by slayer61.

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 11 Jul 2014 20:23 #639779

• Motor Head
  • User
Hey its just a few short weeks to the rally in 4 corners.
Anyone in the South West ready willing and KZ able?
Will there be another Flag hand off or two before the rally?
I'm trying to see where the Flag might be, if not on its way to 4 corners. If stalled along the way somewhere I'll go get it and bring it to the rally.
I sure hope this current heat wave has passed by, and the weather is back to more normal at the time of the rally. These air cooled bikes don't like the extreme heat much. Might have to do some night riding on the way there, across NV as it will be scorching during the day heat.
Basically BUMP! :laugh:

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 12 Jul 2014 07:41 #639818

• slayer61
  • User
Darryl,
I still have the flag, but I'm scheduled to hand off to eddiem tomorrow. He, in turn will be handing off to baldy110. The flag is on the way! Ride safe brother.

Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 14 Jul 2014 08:18 #640024

• slayer61
  • User
So,
The Mrs. and I made the trip down to Madera to meet up with Eddie and his son Josh for the hand off. 117 miles down hiway 99 through the blazing heat of Central California's valley. I found out recently that my old ass is only good for 50-60 miles before it's ready for a break :unsure: conveniently, there's a rest stop at about that location!

So we stopped for a cool drink and a break!

My wife, you might remember took a little spill :blush: on our last flag relay ride, so I put some new tires on her little gpz. She likes the way her BIG gpz handled, so the same kind of tires were put on her little bike.

We got to the Black Bear diner just before noon and had a little wait for Eddie, so we took a few pictures of our setting in the parking lot of the diner.

Soon enough Eddie and Josh showed up and we had lunch (thanks again Eddie)
and the official hand-off was made!

Eddies bike, I must say, is a thing of beauty! The little avatar picture, and the ones I've posted just don't do it justice... You could EAT off it, it's so clean B)

It has been an absolute pleasure meeting up with other KZRiders! "motorhead" Darry, Forrest, "the mad duck" and Eddie "eddiem" If you ever considered taking part in this momentous relay, do yourself a favor and DO IT! It's been an a great experience for me and the Mrs. slayer61 Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, Forrest, Motor Head, KZJOE900

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 14 Jul 2014 09:32 #640035

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
That is fantastic, thanks for the pictures. Another successful flag hand off.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride South West Leg 14 Jul 2014 21:56 #640113

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34
Paul It was great meeting you and your wife and if you're ever this way your more then welcome to stop by.
I did send a pm to baldy last nite and waiting on a reply from him
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest, Motor Head