• Page:

TOPIC:

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 22 Jun 2007 19:40 #151918

• 650CSRrider
  • 650CSRrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to know if any of you have ever had a problem with a high speed wobble? That is what caused me to lay my bike down at 65mph. It started when I was running about 75mph. I tried to control it by slowing down but it didn't work. I knew she was going to throw me, so I tried to make it to the grass. Well I didn't quite make it. I hit the pavement at 65, tucked and rolled for about 200 yards, and got up and ran to the side of the freeway. Luckily no one was following close behide me or I would have been roadkill. I"d had it wobble on me before, but it had never been uncontrolable. Anyway, my question is if any of you know what causes that, and if you do, what can I do about it? I know I needed new tires at the time. I am now in the middle of repairing my bike and found some tires that are suppose to reduce the high speed wobble. I was also wonder if using a steering stabilizer from a later model bike would be feasible. I have one more question as well. Does anyone know where I can find chrome aftermarket wheels to fit my bike. I am really wanting to make this a one-off motorcycle. Well hopefully someone can answer my questions. Thanks for your time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 22 Jun 2007 19:51 #151925

• katjbus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Have you checked the play in the steering head, I had tank slappers on a goldwing once, slowing it down got worse lucky I was only doing 40, had to accelerate out of it then slowed down really slow, got back to the shop and found loose steering head. did not happen after that. I believe you can get uneversal steering stabilizers just have to find an appropriate place to mount it

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 22 Jun 2007 20:54 #151957

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
So far I've been fortunate not to experience anything like that. My guess is to check the steering head bearings. After a while they'll wear a flat spot and a common replacement is tapered roller bearings.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 00:11 #151993

• Wildh2oskier
  • User
I've not had this happen on a streetbike but on MX and Enduro bikes and quite often it is caused by not enough rebound on the rear shock(s), But I'd check the steering head bearings first.
For the steering dampener, yeah they definatly help.

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 01:02 #151998

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Ive had that at 100 miles per hour .Its scary.Make sure the tires are balanced and steering head is tight and rear wheel is parallel to front wheel.U should measure the rear axle to the swing arm pivot and make sure both sides are the same.u cant always trust the marks on the chain adjusters.Good luck.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 02:19 #152002

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Sorry to hear about your mishap - never happened to me and I hope it never will. The wobble can be caused by a number of things: worn/unbalanced tires, worn or loose steering stem bearings, worn/loose swingarm bearings, worn wheel bearings or a combination of the above. That is what I would check, also check that all fasteners are tight and torqued to spec.

I have to disagree on the steering dampener though - first of all you shouldn´t need it on a 650 and it won´t make the problem go away, it´ll only disguise it. Much better to find out what caused the wobble and fix it instead.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 03:29 #152009

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
650CSRrider as to your question about wheels. I've got the same bike and wound up swapping mag wheels off a 550 LTD onto mine. It is 100% bolt on no mods needed. I suppose you could have these wheels chromed if it were in your budget, I just met a guy the other day that did that on a 1000 ST he told me it cost him like $500.00. Your other options would be to just work like heck and polish them or I suppose you could also have them powdercoated. There is a huge choice of colors available in powdercoat I'm sure you could find a color that comes close to looking like chrome. That might be your best option since in order to make chrome last on aluminium you have to have them triple plated which can get expensive. I like both the look of the mags and the fact they are far easier to maintain than spokes. Here is what your bike will look like with mags.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 07:16 #152045

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
uneven tire wear
worn steering head bearings
spindly forks
worn swingarm bearings
wire wheels out of true

The Z/KZ family is kind of famous for the tank slapper. If you haven't ever experienced it, it ain't no joke... usually, most of the bikes will be OK till they hit one of those reflective deals embedded in the middle of the road... then the bike start oscillating with the oscillations getting worse and worse... then it is called a TANK SLAPPER... It is probably worse to try and ease off the throttle... probably would be best to get on the power but it has happened to me and I never can remember this... good thing you weren't hurt! It has happened to me but at a bit higher speed and it gives you time to reflect on your own mortality!

About the only thing similar is to have a flat in a tube type rear tire at 60 mph... the air goes out REAL FAST and you are left on a squirming tire that is also causing the bike to wiggle like a worm...

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/06/23 10:17
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 07:24 #152047

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Several more neglected items:

Correct air pressure in the tires
Even amounts of fork oil in the forks
Worn rear shocks (esp. where the damping fluid has leaked out)
Wrong tire sizes for the bike
Mismatched tires / wrong tire types
Rear wheel misaligned

Selecting the correct tire for your bike makes a huge difference in how the bike handles. Most of these older bikes benefit from ribbed or semi-ribbed tires on the front.

Post edited by: Jeff.Saunders, at: 2007/06/23 10:25
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 07:58 #152049

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Jeff said it best, wrong tires. I have found this to be the tankslap problem on all the KZ bikes that were stricken with it. Ribbed front tires eliminate the problem completely most of the time.

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 08:08 #152052

• DasTeufel
  • User
The 550 I had would shake it's head around 90mph, found that the steering head nuts were loose, and that the tires I had at the time (Metzeler 880) contributed to it. The bike I have now was labeled as a twitchy tank-slapper, so much that Suzuki retrofitted steering dampers to them.
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

High Speed Wobble/Down at 65MPH 23 Jun 2007 10:46 #152073

• 650CSRrider
  • 650CSRrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
650CSRrider wrote:

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of your input. If everything goes good, I will be completely rebuilding my 650 this upcoming winter. I will double check everything you guys metioned to make sure this problem doesn't strike again. Hopefully I will have my bike ready repaired enough to ride a little while before winter hits, but when winter gets here, the complete restore will begin. Thanks again for everyone's help!

• Page: