Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z650 / GPz engined Restomod 18 Apr 2024 14:54 #897801

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
With the engine cases back from being ceramically coated, loosely put them together to see how they look. Cases are empty of course, though I have lapped and refitted the valves. The original alloy plugs on the end of the oil galleries of the head have been removed, to make sure the galleries were clear of any blasting grit, then replaced, the larger ones with new alloy plugs and the smaller with stainless 8mm grub screws.

The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650 / GPz engined Restomod 18 Apr 2024 14:58 #897803

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
Your engine looks nice.

And solid call on removing the oil galley plugs for a proper clean out.  

Z650 / GPz engined Restomod 18 Apr 2024 15:00 #897804

• Bevelhead
  • User
Despite the engine not having been run since 2000, it was in good condition with little apparent wear, except for one thing.. the splines on the output shaft were badly worn. The engine came from a bike that was fitted with lighter CMA wheels many years ago, and these wheels didn't have a cush drive. Either this or a loose sprocket must have caused the damage.

Since I intend to fit a 5.5 inch rear wheel and 180 tyre, I bought a complete transmission from a later ZR7S, which has a slightly longer output shaft, while being surprisingly cheap.. 

ZR7S transmission..
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Z650 / GPz engined Restomod 25 Apr 2024 03:53 #898100

• Bevelhead
  • User
Got the powder coated yokes and ZRX swingarm on the bike, along with the R6 forks, now with painted lowers. Yamaha Gold spot calipers and a XJR1300 front fender were then fitted. the latter will need small spacers and brackets to fit the lowers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: calum, howardhb, Stereordinary, Wookie58, Rolf1976_KZ900

• Page: