So, bad news on the paintwork. The solvent pop was all through the clear making it impossible to sand out without hitting the green candy layer. As soon as I went through the candy layer it got lighter - leaving it looking blotchy and pretty awful.
Easiest fix is just to sand it down and start again - live and learn I suppose.
Anyway, I'm putting this on hold until I finish building a workshop next to the house to do the paintwork in. Waiting on the guys to pour the concrete at the moment, hoping to start building in November. No real hurry on this build as it will only be registered for summer.