Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 02 Jul 2023 16:12 #886752

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
Thanks Wookie. The by-pass was the missing piece - was trying to figure out how the screw could restrict flow in the damper unit 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Jul 2023 07:38 #887050

• calum
  • User
Can use the neighbours spray booth on the weekend so got the last few things sorted.
  • Added a piece to the seat bracket so there is some support in the middle of the seat.
  • Sorted out the mounting for the catch can (basically some aluminium pipe that a local guy welded some caps and fittings onto).
  • Got the new license plate bracket done. The backing plate is only tacked on at the moment. Once everything is painted and the rear wheel is on I'll make sure it's straight and double-check the angle (can be max. 30° from vertical in Germany). Then I'll weld it on properly. It's stainless so it's not getting painted.
  • Got the rest of the little things ticked off the list as well: side stand stop on the frame, reduced the steering angle slightly, mounting bracket for the RFID sensor, ... just need to bead blast a couple more parts and all that's left is a lot of painting.

Attachments:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Jul 2023 08:02 #887051

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1792
The "end is in sight" Calum, I guess you are happy that the catch can won't drain onto your back tyre round long left handers (like autobahn "on" and "off" link roads) ? or has the alloy panel got that covered
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Jul 2023 10:54 #887057

• calum
  • User
I'm pretty sure that there won't be much oil collecting in that can. The lines from the crankcase are pretty long. The plan is to keep an eye on it at the start and see how much oil actually ends up in the can - if it end's up being too much I have a couple of options. The filter is stuck on a thread for a dash 8 fitting so I can route it somewhere else (not sure where though, maybe just further up the tail so any oil drains back to the crank case and can't reach the filter. Or I could just stick a rag under it ;)

I actually think that with the panel on any oil will run forward and probably drip right onto the chain - one maintenance item peermanently off the checklist 

Anyway, good thing the on-ramps are right-handers over here...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Jul 2023 11:09 #887058

• Wookie58
I tend to over think these things, sounds like you are all over it 

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 15 Jul 2023 13:09 #887272

• calum
  • User
Been doing a bit of painting...

Did the underside of the fender and tank in the same black as the rest. put primer and some yellow for the pin-stripes on the top:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 15 Jul 2023 13:13 #887273

• Wookie58
Great progress, a very productive session the booth 

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 15 Jul 2023 13:16 #887274

• calum
  • User
I definitely underestimated how much time it would take prepping all those parts! Pretty happy though - only two parts need some touching up.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 02 Aug 2023 13:03 #887852

• calum
  • User
Got the engine painted. Didn't quite get the coverage I wanted as I ran out of paint and can't get back in the room for the next month. Lesson learned 

I got everything that will be visible covered well, but if you start looking in under the cam chain tensioner it gets a bit spotty. You can see that it gets a bit light towards the back of the fins on the head, but that's only really visible if you lie down next to the bike and the light is hitting it from a low angle (looks worse in the photo) - the other side is a bit better. All in all it's OK and the only person that will notice it is me ;)

Will take some better photos with the covers when the paint has properly cured.

Got the mini engine done as well.

Attachments:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 02 Aug 2023 13:07 #887854

• Wookie58
Nobody will notice when it's all back together with the ancillaries on, looks good. Redwas a good choice for the Mini (you've never seen a slow fire engine have you  )

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 02 Aug 2023 13:14 #887856

• calum
  • User
Yeah, I need to hold the LED lamp up to it to see the light spots and they are all under the carbs or in the back of the fins where the sun doesn't shine. The photo doesn't really do it justice. need to take some better ones.

Mini engine was red from the factory - not quite fire engine red though so it might go a bit faster now ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Kelly E

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 10 Aug 2023 10:51 #888117

• calum
  • User
I have spent the last few days with bog, sandpaper and primer getting the bodywork prepared for painting. Got the painting done today and am pretty happy with the results. Will need to sand and polish the clear as the last coat went on too soon and I have some barely visible solvent pop. I definitely want a good finish though so it will be worth the effort - regardless of how much I hate polishing ;)

I went with diamond dark green and different stripes than originally planned. The trim is the same colour as the öhlins springs.

The front fairing won't be mounted at the start as I haven't made any mounts for it - I just wanted it to be painted at the same time so it's the same as the rest. It looks pretty good though so I might have to make some brackets...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Mikaw, Scirocco, howardhb, Stereordinary, Wookie58