Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 26 Mar 2023 13:25 #882025

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Great job !!!!

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 06 Apr 2023 13:23 #882572

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
It's been a pretty big week... Started off by welding a bit onto the side stand so that it doesn't slam into the shifter. I'll add a stop to the frame when I've torn the bike down.
After that I got the brake lines on, the chain and sprockets properly aligned (third time lucky!), then I made a rear fender and a license plate bracket (will get a plate laser cut and weld it on for mounting the actual license plate). Got some holes in the side of the tank vent fitting and made some brackets for the brake lines. Finally welded the nuts onto the oil cooler brackets.
After all that it was time to roll the bike out of the garage for a few photos. I'll be tearing everything down over the next couple of weeks. I need to get some minor changes made to the swingarm, straighten the tail out and get a guy to make me a catch can (don't fancy trying to weld an aluminium box that doesn't leak). After that it's time to start bead blasting and painting before reassembly.

EDIT: I should note that the forks are pretty soft (new springs are still on the shelf). The static sag is about 40-50mm so the front end will sit a bit higher when it's done.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, howardhb, Wookie58

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 06 Apr 2023 15:18 #882577

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
You did a perfect job to the specific parts and details! Sorry to say, BUT THE LICENCE PLATE HOLDER is beyond my personal taste, it´s an absolute NO GO!
The new "small" bike licence plates fits perfect under the duck tail, but it´s your desicion.......

Attachments:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 01:30 #882589

• calum
  • User
Thanks. I tend to agree with you on the license plate bracket. After looking at both options I decided to put it under the tail. Then I measured everything and figured out it would need to stick out about 5-10cm beyond the tail to clear the rear wheel when the schocks are compressed - the tail section has been shortened quite a bit and the swing arm is longer than stock. I can't bury it in the tail like you have as the bottom of the tail section is covered (and the tail is full of parts). The 30° angle for the MOT is the main problem - I could maybe sort something out if it was flatter.
The only other option is on the side like a bobber/chopper and that would look awful.

Don't worry, it looks a bit better when the plate is on ;)

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 02:01 #882591

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1787
Sometimes you just have to compromise to "make it work" your solution "gets it done". Does the TÜV not require a wheel guard anyway as the wheel is extended past the end of the tail section, I have seen a lot of new bikes (BMW etc) running this kind of set up. It is a touchy subject for MOT in the UK (the rules say the top of the tyre tread should not be visible when viewed from directly above for cars and bikes)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 02:34 #882592

• calum
  • User
No hard rules on the rear wheel guard with the new EU rules. The old German rules have some provisions (the guard has to come around the wheel so it ends max. 150mm above the axle), but I should be OK. I'll be sending some photos off to make sure before I start painting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 07:11 #882599

• calum
  • User
After double checking the countershaft sprocket alignment before getting a third(!) sprocket made, I stuck an old license plate on the bike. I'm pretty happy with the bracket now, a bit of black paint and it will disappear into the background. Also leaves the tail section nice and clean.

Excuse the mess in the garage ;) not much room til I get that yellow thing out of there.

Attachments:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 07:20 #882600

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1787
How are you planning to illuminate it (I assume it's a requirement?)

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 07:28 #882602

• calum
  • User
I am getting a plate laser cut and will bolt the license plate to it. One of the bolts (probably bottom left) will be this thing: www.louis.de/artikel/led-kennzeichenleuchte/10035537

I also need a reflector at the bottom. I'm getting the same plate cut as I used on the 750 - it will also be stainless and I'll weld it to the bracket.  

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 13:03 #882618

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
I’m not crazy about those license plate holders either but as far as they go, yours is the nicest I’ve seen. It beats those plastic ones. So, not bad at all. Paint it black and you’ll never see it.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Apr 2023 14:38 #882622

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
Jeez , glad we dont have those big plates .  Looks great .
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 08 Apr 2023 10:15 #882701

• calum
  • User
I figured I should reconsider putting the license plate under the tail. I mocked up a bracket and took the shocks off to see how close I could get it to the tail. Still not sure -. sticks out a bit much... will let this one sit for a bit, plenty to do in the mean time.

Attachments: