• Page:

TOPIC:

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 08:37 #798274

• peterb
  • peterb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello All,

I've used this forum for tons of learning, research and the occasional question. The project I just picked up is a 1980 KZ750 LTD. My normal experience is to take beaters and make them serviceable and reliable. This project is a little different. My first bike was a KZ750e (standard) and like everyone else, I regret getting rid of it. I picked up this LTD on impulse because I got it running (not well) for almost nothing. My goal is to see how close I can get this LTD to to the 750e model.

Here's where I'm hoping to lean upon the experience found on this forum - Some Questions.
- Are there are any direct swaps on the rear wheel? I'd like to go to the 18" wheel. Can I go with a kz750e wheel? Are there other direct swaps?
-I'd like to swap out the leading axle forks (i think this is what they are called?). I had a hard time finding a thread where anyone did this. Any direct swaps? (I think I saw a thread where Katana forks are mentioned)
- Carbs - the guy I bought it from had Mikuni's from a Suzuki (i think) on it. It ran, but I'm skeptical it will run right and i'd like to go back to stock. I might run over to Sport Wheels Junkyard in MN and see what they have. Other than that - I dont see many options on ebay. Recommendations?

Later
- I'd like to take swapping out the LTD seat for a flatter setup. What kind of frame-work am I in for? I really had a hard time find threads on KZrider on this subject.
- Paint codes - Does anyone have paint codes for some of the late 70's , early 80's kz bikes? I looked on color-rite- they didn't have much.

Thanks in advance for all help provided. I'll be posting pictures and updates as I get into it. Have to finish a friends Honda before riding season first.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 10:58 #798284

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Howdy. My 81 KZ650-CSR has the same frame as the 750H Ltd >> 750E mufflers were a direct swap. The Ltd H & & 750E frames appear to be very similar & are identical in some respects. The E has the same side covers & muffler stays as the CSR & LTD. From comparing photos the major differences are the steering head angle & rear end >> the Ltd has more rake & the E has extra bracketing at the rear for attaching the rear cowling or ducktail which the Ltd does not have.

Seat & fuel tank. comparing frame photos, the 750E seat may be a direct fit >> the hinges & stuff appear to be in the same locations & the frames seem to be shaped the same where the seat fits. They also have the same method of attachment for the fuel tank >> the E tank is purported to be a direct fit, but the Ltd tripe tree will bang against it. The fix would be to install the 750E front end >> the 750E triple is angled forward to accommodate the larger tank. I bet the E triple tree is a direct swap. guessing.

Swing arm. From the diagrams at Partzilla the 750E & Ltd have the same swing arm sleeve & shaft and same Rr axle, so you can probably swap swing arms. I'd guess you could use your swing arm with the E rear wheel >> the Ltd swing arm is probably wider. I'm not sure if there would be disk alignment or wheel clearance issues. From doing the wheel math the E wheel/tire is about 16mm larger in diameter than the Ltd.

Carburetors. I don't know what's best, but you can probably use the carbs from just about any 750-4.

KZR topic >> Retroactive KZ750E Project by Nessim .... lots of good photos, including frame pics.

EB >> KZ750H Ltd frame. . or use you own frame for reference. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, calum

Last edit: by martin_csr.

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 06 Feb 2019 15:47 #798300

• peterb
  • peterb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
That is a ton of good info, thank you very much. I'm going to read thru the thread you posted.

I have noticed just a lack of 750e parts on ebay. I'm hoping to find what I need at Sport Wheels or see if members here have anything for sale.

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 01 Sep 2020 14:21 #834169

• BobberDan
  • User
just put 82 750n1 spectra forks on my 70 750b twin last nite...would have did trip tree with it but bottom bearing was shot...it is a B_i_cH finding 40 year old twin parts...finally front brakes

'80 KZ750 LTD Project 02 Sep 2020 06:07 #834204

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
Martin has posted a lot of good info. I just wanted to add that if you swap out the leading axle forks you will increase the trail and it will affect the handling (not sure to what extent, it may not matter). Also, all KZ750H bike had a 750E engine in them. There is no 750H specific engine.
As Martin said, the swingarm is the same on both models (the original swingarm was dented on my 750H and I got a 750E replacement, same part number, same part). So putting in a 750E back wheel shouldn't be a problem. If your bike isn't in parts you can look at the clearance between the 16" wheel and the swingarm - easily enough for an 18" wheel.
The 750E & H came with Keihin CV34 carbs. The GPz came with Mikuni's so you may actually have GPz carbs on your bike. Rumour has it that the Mikuni carbs are easier to deal with.

Last edit: by calum.
  • Page: