Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 13 Sep 2015 14:31 #689913

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
Got the was applied on the frame pieces, but want to wait a couple weeks before I wax the fork parts that I just finished painting. Also got some more assembly finished today -- it's finally starting to look like a bike!

I've been looking at some pics on google, and I finally figured out the deal with the center stand... It's meant to work with dual-exhaust pipes, and the foot peg curves around the left exhaust, and uses the pipe as the stopper. I'll have to see how that works out, because I plan on angling the pipes upward a little.

I also managed to tap loose the bolts holding the brake discs. Could find a tool for an impact driver, so I just picked up a cheap allen wrench and tapped it with a hammer. The bolts actually popped loose pretty easy with a tap. The front pair of discs needs turned a bit, but they measures at about 4.8mm and they are stamped to not go below 4.5mm, so I think they'll work. The back disc looks almost brand new, so just need to break the glaze and bolt it back up. It may be next year before I get to the brakes, but there will be new pads all around.

For now, I need to pick up some fork oil and order the wheel bearings this week, and next weekend I'll try to sandblast and paint the wheels after I tap out the old bearings.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shdwdrgn.

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 20 Sep 2015 16:37 #691076

• larriken
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Nice work, job looks tidy!

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 20 Sep 2015 17:02 #691082

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Thanks. Had to put it aside for a bit because of the weather change. Started building up a temporary greenhouse around the garden this Spring, now I have to finish it before we get a blast of cold weather that kills the vegetables. Almost finished with the pvc framework for the walls today, then I can figure out how I'm going to finish the roof... and THEN I can get back to working on the bike.

I did get the new wheel bearings ordered this week, and finished stripping all the parts off the wheels, so they're ready for the paint stripper and sandblasting, whenever I get the time...
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 21 Feb 2016 09:37 #711797

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
We ended up having a really cold Winter here this year. Got the greenhouse finished literally the day before the first hard freeze, and managed to save the tomatoes into early December. Now I'm starting to prep trays to start some seeds for the new season.

In the meantime, I finally cracked the top of the engine yesterday. I was happily surprised to see the cams looked really clean, although there is some brown on one lobe that could indicate a valve not completely closing, so that will need looked at.

Had a bit of trouble pulling the head. Turns out there was a rubber gasket on one corner that didn't want to slip past the threads on the long bolt. Once I figured it out, I just popped it loose from the head, then unscrewed it up the bolt. There's a bit of carbon build-up on the outside pistons, so once I crack the bottom case and get them off the crank I'll soak them for awhile and get everything cleaned up. There's also a slight lip of carbon at the top of the cylinder walls. I'll be getting a hone to break up the glaze, hopefully that'll take case of the carbon as well.

I think I mentioned this before, but the bottom case is broken. The gear between the starter and the engine broke completely free and I figured it would cost about the same to have it welded as to get a new case. I picked up one off ebay that came from a police bike. Since I plan on painting the engine black anyway, this will save me a little work, but it still needs a clean-up and a coat of flat black to finish it up. One of these days I'll call the local engine shop and see if they work on motorcycle engines. I want to get the crank welded and the drivetrain balanced, then get some new bearings and start rebuilding into the new case.

Lots of work to do still, but the paint on the frame appears to have held up well over the Winter. I never did get the wheels painted unfortunately, so that'll be the first thing I tackle when it gets warm enough to paint. Plus I'm sure wife will appreciate me getting the frame off the back patio. :)
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 21 Feb 2016 09:49 #711799

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Great work, I really admire the masochism of people doing such ambitious projects and keeping at them. Can't wait to see the finished result - not that I'm rushing you or anything :)
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Last edit: by redhawk4.

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 21 Feb 2016 14:07 #711835

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Haha thanks! I always wanted to rebuild a motorcycle, and some folks turned me on to the KZ's. I've never ridden one, but have liked what I've seen so far, can't wait to get it running. It will be a big step up from my old Yamaha 650, and already feels like it will be a nicer ride.

Got all the covers removed from the bottom case, have about half the bolts removed, just need to flip it around the other way to get at the rest and I should be able to pull the top half. Unfortunately I have a laptop I'm supposed to be trying to repair this weekend, figured I should stop and get that started.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 25 Apr 2016 11:49 #722886

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Finally getting some warm weather again so I've been working on a few pieces. I sandblasted the headlight as a test to see if my rig would leave a suitable surface in the chrome. I was really happy with the resulting finish, and the paint seems to have stuck really well. It will take a lot of time and patience to get the surface of the pipes done the same way, but it will be awhile before I get to them. In the meantime, it's funny to see what PO's have done on the bike. I was trying to figure out the bolts they used for the main mounting points of the headlight, finally realized what I was holding was simple a pair of 3/8-16 bolts. Ah well, found some nice metric button-head bolts at the store. Also replaced some rusting bolts with stainless.

The wheels have been a headache for me. I got started on them last Fall but had to stop as the cold weather moved in. About a month ago we had a warm weekend and I hosed down both wheels with paint stripped. Oddly, it worked great on the front wheel, but barely touched the paint on the rear. I finished cleaning up the front wheel with the sandblaster, but for the rear I just hit it long enough to knock off any loose paint. I have the sets of bearings for both wheels, so sometime this week I'll take them in to the dealer and get the bearings pressed in and new tires put on. Then I can paint the wheels and let it harden for a few years before the next time they see a tire machine.

I'm really starting to worry about the wiring harness. It will be some time before I have to work on it, but I don't know if I took enough pictures to see where all the bundles are supposed to be routed. Might have to get some help on the forum when I get to that point.

Also of note, the frame was out in the weather all Winter, and shows no sign of suffering. To recap, I used a hard appliance paint for color, then topped it off with a UV-protective clearcoat. There's a lot of stuff stuck to the frame now, looks like pollen or something sticky, but where I've rubbed it off the finish underneath still looks good. After I get the wheels on the frame, I plan on hosing down the whole thing and giving it a final coat of wax before I start bolting on the engine. I'm excited to finally be getting to this point where it's looking like a motorcycle again!
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 29 Apr 2016 15:27 #723648

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Got the wheels back, but it'll be at least another week before I can paint. Yeah it's snowing again! :angry:

Been digging around, couldn't figure out where I put the front axle. Turns out it was in the box, I was just expecting something *bigger*. Ah well, get that cleaned up and go from there. I'm thinking I need to at least have the back brake rotor turned, I might also do the two on front. Hmm where did I put the baggie with all the rotor bolts?

Erg... the chain goes *around* the swing-arm. I wonder if there's a master link or if I need to take the swingarm back off again?

Random musings while I glare angrily at the snow outside the window...
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 01 May 2016 14:03 #723970

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Been a slow weekend due to weather, but I managed to put on the wheels today and get some pictures. One issue I've found, they put the front tire on the wrong direction. I double-checked my original pics and the manual, they all confirm the speedometer gear is supposed to go on the left side of the wheel, so I'll have to take it back to the dealer when I get a chance.

Had to throw on the tank and seat so I could sit on it. This is the first time I've actually been able to do that since getting the frame put back together.

One odd thing that is bothering me... the kickstand appears to have been bent. That curve looks inappropriate, and leaning on it, even with the rear wheel sitting on that board, the bike barely leans over. Also the bottom of the kickstand does not sit flat on the ground.

Anyway, no real progress this weekend, but it feels like I needed the break from working on projects anyway.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 05 May 2016 19:42 #724824

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
So I've begun the search for a seat pan that I can chop to work with the tail fin. I'm still really liking the look of the bike with this tail, however it won't work with the stock seat and I'm not going to let that stop me from getting the bike running. In the meantime, one can dream...

I've been going through the latest additions on ebay and amazon, and placed ordered for LED turn signals and a brake light. Will probably have to throw a battery on the bike and drag out the wiring harness so I can see if the LEDs are bright enough in daylight.

I've also been looking at my brakes today. I got a new full set of ceramic pads ordered for all three discs today. My rear disc is in great shape, it looks like it may be almost new, however the front discs have some wear, but they're still wider than the minimum stamped into the disc. There's a ridge or two in the surfaces, but nothing drastic, so I might just try to knock them down a bit and see how they work. I've also started cleaning up the rear brake pieces. Think I'll just hit them lightly with the sandblaster and throw on a new coat of paint, no need to take them down to bare metal. That should finish off the bits for the rear wheel, so once I get a coat of paint on the wheel I can finish putting that together. Then I can start cleaning up the front brakes and try to get the front wheel also finished off.

I have a lot of vacation time coming at work, and with things slowing down a lot at work I'm going to start taking days off so I can really focus on the bike. I have one big weekend project that needs to be done soon, but otherwise this Summer is dedicated to getting this project finished to I can start riding again. If no major problems come up while I'm rebuilding the engine, then everything else it just a matter of repainting and slapping the parts back together, then replacing things as I find actual problems.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 06 May 2016 05:48 #724849

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
wouldn't a stock pan be the best one to modify?

i always like to see people mod the 81 and later bikes with tails from other models and it looks as tho the 650 tail is going to be a good fit.

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1981 KZ1000 J-to-K build 06 May 2016 06:01 #724855

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
Yes that's what I meant... I need another stock pan for the 81+ models. I'm not going to chop up the one I have because the whole seat is actually in excellent condition, and I'm not sure, but it looks like it could be the original seat cover. I would feel more comfortable starting with a bare pan, and that way I can resell this seat later to someone who wants to keep their bike completely stock.
1981 KZ1000-JK1