Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 30 Nov 2012 07:11 #560610

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
i saw this on the Internets the otherday and thought of your build. the skeletonizing is so over the top its kinda awesome imo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 09:35 #560772

• zed1015
  • zed1015's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1467
Finally sourced a matching 5.5 inch rim from a Z750 to replace the ZX10R's 6 inch which i used for the dry build and is too wide to get correct chain alignment whilst keeping the wheel central.
It took three attempts to find one that was straight (bloody time wasting ebay con artists) which left me an extra £30 out of pocket as i couldn't get my return postage refunded for the wonky two i sent back :angry:

It came bare and i'd hoped the zx10's disc etc would fit.
No chance! so back to ebay to buy a disc which on arrival i find it is 30mm larger in diameter and my modified R1 caliper and hanger are useless :(

Back to ebay for a z750 caliper bracket and a small stroke of luck as kawasaki have kindly changed the brake caliper mount design to take the same nissin as the R1 so all is not lost :)
It's a fair old lump so all the shaded areas need removing before i use it.

Just as things are looking up there's another kick in the balls as the 750 wheels hub is nowhere near the same as the 10s and is suprisingly wider and offset to the right so i'll have to start from scratch and make all new wheel spacers etc.
This is the point i shut the shed door and went to the pub before i chucked the whole lot in the nearest ditch :lol:

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 13:20 #560787

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
does that mean the zx10 rim is a better fit?
can u mill the hub on the 10 to gain clearance?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 14:29 #560790

• zed1015
  • User

mark1122 wrote: does that mean the zx10 rim is a better fit?
can u mill the hub on the 10 to gain clearance?

No! It just means that all the spacers and caliper mount i made for the 10 wheel don't fit the 750.
I was hoping to get a 636 rim as i'm sure it would have been a straight swap but they are hard to get and more expensive as they are more popular.

The widest rim you can fit to the std zed frame is a 5.5 inch,i only used the 10's for the dry build because it is what i had.

I have been in the workshop today and got it all sorted now. will be posting some more pic's sometime later tonight.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 17:47 #560825

• zed1015
  • User
Well! I set about aligning the 750 wheel up today now i've sobered up.

Made up a fresh spacer for the sprocket side which ended up needing to be 6mm wider than the one for the 10r wheel.

This left very little space on the right hand side to squeeze in the caliper hanger as the 750 wheel is much wider on the brake disc side.
I got back another 3mm by moving to 3mm swingarm spacer i made over from the right to the left and took 3mm of the freshly turned spacer to get everything all back central.

Still had to skim a couple of mill off my new caliper hanger too to get it in.
it has to be a lot slimmer than the one i made for the ten wheel(on the right) because of the 750's wider hub

This threw up another problem as there is now no room between the caliper bracket and swingarm to fit in the torque arm .... ARSE! :angry:

Time out to sit and stare at it for 20 min's with a cuppa and intermittent swearing and then ..... an idea ???

After a bit of measuring a couple of m10 holes were drilled and tapped

And the excess material removed.

Turn up a couple of ally bobbins and add some stainless capheads.

And problem solved ;)

Top bobbin sits against swingarm to prevent the caliper rotating and has been drilled eccentric to take up any slack when the wheel is moved back

bottom bobbin prevents any slim chance of the caliper rotating back

Job done :)

Last edit: by zed1015.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 20:08 #560835

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Congrats on another fine job.
Well done :)
Leon used a 6" rim and 200 tire somehow ?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 21:17 #560852

• zed1015
  • User

mark1122 wrote: Congrats on another fine job.
Well done :)
Leon used a 6" rim and 200 tire somehow ?

Yeah! it can be done if you spread the frame or run the wheel offset but i couldn't live with that, think i've got some sort of mechanical OCD or something :laugh:

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 22:30 #560869

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Yes thats right. Leons is offset. so is mine.
i run a 5 1/2" rim. i came to the conclusion that my front wheel must be offset do to the factory installing the steering head of kilter. either that or my frame is twisted. buy i'm going with the steering head since i have heard that ma kaw didnt have a very tight tolerance in that department.
as hard as my OCD tried, i had to give in . i couldnt get the front and rear rim to align, without chain clearance issues,so I offset the rim. i have run it at the road coarse tracks , doing track days, and it seems fine. i dont notice and dif from a rt turn to a left. its the clearance i lost during the 17" wheel conversion that slows me down.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 01 Dec 2012 23:37 #560880

• Primer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
That looks like an elegant solution to your clearance issues. How much rotational force does the caliper generate under braking?

Thanks for all of the pics, it's a great looking project!

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 02 Dec 2012 07:31 #560911

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
  • Thank you received: 35
another idea would have been to make a sloted track on the inside of the arm paralell to the axle slider with a peg on the brake hanger to ride in. my single sided swingarm on my ducati had that set up. hard to explain but its clean and no need for adjustment like your ecentric solution. just an idea.... forgive my spelling im drunk.
79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 02 Dec 2012 09:15 #560917

• zed1015
  • User

lushbaugh wrote: another idea would have been to make a sloted track on the inside of the arm paralell to the axle slider with a peg on the brake hanger to ride in. my single sided swingarm on my ducati had that set up. hard to explain but its clean and no need for adjustment like your ecentric solution. just an idea.... forgive my spelling im drunk.

The z750 caliper hanger i've used did have a slot which aligned with a peg on the swingarm but there wasn't enough room to fit a peg to the gixer arm i'm using so i had no real alternative.
It's not what i originally planned as i had the torque arm set up already made for the 10r wheel but now it's done i quite like it and it will make a nice trickish feature once i've finished the detailing.

New project.1428 turbo or supercharged, Who knows? 02 Dec 2012 23:10 #561038

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
A very cool solution Zed, I have followed a lot of your builds and I am always amazed! Well done always.
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)