Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:12 #209901

• Beatpoet
  • Beatpoet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Since we are all KZ Loving Fools who drool gobs of KZ drool everytime a Kawasaki hits a road or tool, I have decided henceforth that my ongoing efforts and contortions could be documented in full view of my FanataKAW friends and cohorts.

First, we have a link to a KZRider gallery picture which represents the state in which I aquired old 'Jealousy.' (Yes, I named 'er)

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=3308

At first glance, she appears fine, but...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:14 #209904

• Beatpoet
  • User
She needs to be ripped down for some maintainence. I lifted old Jealousy's rear end while my girlfriend shimmed some boards just behind the swingarm pivot. I blocked the front wheel for good measure.

Reasonably stable.

Off came the accoutrements, I drain the gas tank slowly through the carburetors one at a time to perhaps free any dissenting rust flakes that love to wedge themselves above the float needle.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Beatpoet.

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:17 #209905

• Beatpoet
  • User
The speedo liked to stick at about eighty or more; Apart it came only to rest neatly on the floor.

Ahhh... The lid from a cat litter box.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:20 #209906

• Beatpoet
  • User
While inspecting the front cooling fins and stuffing small rags in each exhaust port, I noticed a rough-hewn texture to the down tubes; its as if each chip was neatly and carefully sprayed over with a good whiff of gloss-black Rustoleum for the last twenty or more years.

I started to hand-sand these, and will continue to sand and clean these until they are reasonably flat enough to 'fill coat' with a couple of layers of primer and finish coat.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:23 #209908

• Beatpoet
  • User
I took off the pods to clean the carbs. The bowls will be dropped and cleaned. I will probably check out the floats and needles while I'm at it.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:24 #209909

• Beatpoet
  • User
Can anyone say: "Bad?"

This is probably pushing it.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:25 #209910

• Beatpoet
  • User
A couple of bills well spent... I'm still waiting for the points for some reason.

I don't have the manual yet, what's the torque specs on these sprocket bolts? Anyone?
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:26 #209911

• Beatpoet
  • User
Ahhh, the old KZ 'Jealousy.' Hmm... KZ almost sounds like "Kacey." New name? nah.

I like 'Jealousy.' That is, unless anyone has any better ideas.

And she sits, dripping, draining, disassembling. I am straining for this spring's first good ride with new and cared-for parts inside;

This bike slowly becomes my own; as I erase the contorted maintainence philosiphy of the P.O.

Yes, my friends,
'Jealousy' will ride again.

Soon!
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 28 Apr 2008 19:28 #209912

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You have an interesting style of writing, interesting enough to make me read every one of your posts in a thread on a subject for which I have little interest (KZ1000's, I'm a 750 guy).

And that don't happen very often :D :D
KD9JUR

Last edit: by steell.

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 29 Apr 2008 21:31 #210193

• Beatpoet
  • User
I was busy today, a fruitful day.

Downtubes: painted.

A rag draped over the front of the engine kept errant paint away from the hard-to-reach places.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 29 Apr 2008 21:31 #210194

• Beatpoet
  • User
Sprockets: Changed.

That tiny washer with the end folded over the side of my primary sprocket nut was all that was keeping me from ending up in a tree or sailing sideways off of an exit ramp with a locked up rear tire. Take care of your washers and they will take care of you.
Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 29 Apr 2008 21:32 #210195

• Beatpoet
  • User
Engine: Cleaned. (some more)

Step One: Spray with degreaser.
Step Two: Nylon Brush
Step Three: Wipe and wet steel wool
Step Four: Floss with a rag
Step Five: Detailing Spray
Attachments: