Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 07 May 2008 19:22 #211959

• Beatpoet
  • Beatpoet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's mah baby girl. Got the electrical problem (almost) solved and went for my first ride around the block today. It was cold enough to warrant a snowsuit.

Note the rash on the stator cover..

I first met this bike last year when the PO had driven across town drunk on it and was participating in a burnout contest in my neighbor's garage. I had to stop over to check it out, there's often some nice bikes at my neighbor's place.

He couldn't get the back tire to peel (neglected bike alert!) so he let it go and let it slide on its left side across the driveway.

I bought the bike the next day.

I still am waiting for my next paycheck to purchase a front rim (this one's bent) and I have to fix the $120 O-ring chain that I took two extra links out of. The PO had also run the sprockets down so badly (see beginning of thread) and stretched the chain, so he just cut two links out of the chain to keep riding.

Lesson today: Never cut a $120 chain to match the old stretched out chain that the PO just cut links out of so he didn't have to change it :dry:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beatpoet.

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 07 May 2008 19:35 #211963

• Beatpoet
  • User
Here's a pic of me and the bike.

A couple of things to note, if I haven't mentioned already:

1) the front rim has a bend in it. Gary at Parts Place in Negaunee told me he's seen it before when someone hits a curb nice and hard. It was bad enough to not warrant putting a new tire on it.

2) The paint is milky still, but it just needs to be buffed after the clear coat cures for a week or two. I will probably post a thread on rattle-can jobs here, as my rattle-can jobs are getting to the point in which you can't tell them from shob jobs. It takes me about 4-5 hours (all by hand) and about $15 in paint.

3) I elected not to put the 'duck tail' on. Yes, I have it, but I don't like the looks of it. Besides, where am I going to bungee my overnight pack and sleeping bag if I have a duck tail on the back fender??

Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 07 May 2008 20:26 #211971

• Beatpoet
  • User
Here's prototype idea #1... Just ideas, but I probably won't ever...

Attachments:

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 08 May 2008 15:45 #212107

• JohNLA
  • User
Looking good. I also like where you are headed.
s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 10 May 2008 19:58 #212650

• Beatpoet
  • User
More problems developing, much to the delight of people who like to read about other people's problems... The carbs now!

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=3&id=212647#212647

Here is a link.

My 1978 KZ1000 LTD Finally Gets Some Attention (Ongoing Thread) 11 May 2008 16:48 #212879

• Beatpoet
  • User