Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 13:50 #493957

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Can anyone speak to the downsides of using the Kz750 cylinder head with the kz650 stock pistons/bore? Do I lose squish band area or have any other negative impacts on the combustion area? Compression ratio?

I'm hoping to try to measure the volume of each tonight and compare cr's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 14:03 #493958

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I do want to reiterate that I have no idea what I'm doing here and I'm hoping those that do feel free to jump in and slap me around a little. Please. :unsure:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 14:53 #493967

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Found this while looking for a replacement throttle assembly. I wanted to remove the stock switch assembly (it was in really bad shape with the switches broken, faded, rusted, etc).

www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-race...sembly-44-97780.html

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 14:57 #493969

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I have this brake master cylinder that I was hoping to use - anyone know how I can calculate whether it will work with the Kz650C3's dual front calipers? What if I were to find some dual pot calipers - would it be big enough? Suppose we'd need to know which calipers they were first, right?

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/385...aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Also looking for a replacement splitter to remove the switch/splitter that came stock on the bike. New lines as well.

Seems like something like this might be the cheapest route...not sure if it's a good route.

www.z1enterprises.com/Brake-Hose-10MM-X-...OLT-Chrome-3347.aspx

Last edit: by DoubleDub.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 20:18 #494026

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

DoubleDub wrote: I have this brake master cylinder that I was hoping to use - anyone know how I can calculate whether it will work with the Kz650C3's dual front calipers? What if I were to find some dual pot calipers - would it be big enough? Suppose we'd need to know which calipers they were first, right?

www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/385...aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Also looking for a replacement splitter to remove the switch/splitter that came stock on the bike. New lines as well.

Seems like something like this might be the cheapest route...not sure if it's a good route.

www.z1enterprises.com/Brake-Hose-10MM-X-...OLT-Chrome-3347.aspx

i would just buy an ebay master from a modern bike. if u can go with a radial master in your class, that would be best . if not, just about any modern master will work. get 1 from a very popular bike, so u can get a replacement lever fast and cheap if u brake 1. i put a zx636 radial master on my cbr track bike. i have a spare master from my cbr if u want a freebee. it needs a bar clamp and lever though.
as for the splitter. the bolt u show is for adding dual lines to a master so u would not need a splitter. i should have a few spares . yours for free if u go that rout.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 20:27 #494027

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it

DoubleDub wrote: Found this while looking for a replacement throttle assembly. I wanted to remove the stock switch assembly (it was in really bad shape with the switches broken, faded, rusted, etc).

www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-race...sembly-44-97780.html

do some more homework on this one.
make sure your cables will work before u jump in.
i used some ebay parts to make a 1/5th turn throttle. r1's use a shot twist throttle tube. the outer housing looks like the 1 in your pic. i use a cbr1000 exterior with a r1 inner .
a short turn helps , so u dont have to reposition your hand and just makes it feel better on the track. does for me anyways.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 20:38 #494029

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it

DoubleDub wrote: Can anyone speak to the downsides of using the Kz750 cylinder head with the kz650 stock pistons/bore? Do I lose squish band area or have any other negative impacts on the combustion area? Compression ratio?

I'm hoping to try to measure the volume of each tonight and compare cr's.

i think the 750 valves are bigger, so thats a plus. measure them. measure the O.D. of the chambers. if the 750 is bigger then u would loose squish, and compression. if the od is the same and the volume is more, u would only loose compression.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 20:43 #494031

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Larry mentioned that the head itself should flow a bit more air too...I'll make measurements and get back to all of you.

Thanks for the pointers Mark. Always good to get feedback, of any kind.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 20:57 #494034

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Glad to help. :)
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 23:12 #494050

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I just finished measuring the diameter and volume of the combustion chambers - very surprised by the results.

Here is my super duper accurate measure method.

First up is the Kz650 head:
a.) Used a cheap Harbor Freight digital micrometer for extreme precision and proper technique (that's sarcasm folks) showing a 60mm~ish diameter combustion chamber:

b.) Filled the combustion chamber with water and used the ever precise turkey baster to move it into a very accurate liquid measuring cup (again, sarcasm):

And repeat on the Kz750 head:

From this extremely precise exercise I would have to say that the two combustion chambers are identical.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 23:13 #494051

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I know it looked like the 650 combustion chamber held more water, but I think it was the angle I took the picture at. Sorry about that. I also had the valves off on the 750 head and some grit got in between them and the seats that I had to clean up. Had a leak the first time I tried to measure the volume. I really need to give this head a bath...

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Dec 2011 23:50 #494055

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I also just measure the lift on the cams. I thought the Kz750 cams were taller, but they're actually shorter on the intake and taller on the exhaust only. :huh:

The cams I am comparing are from (assuming they were never swapped):

1. 1979 Kz650-C3:
Intake=37.78mm x 28.07mm
Exhaust=35.76mm x 28.07mm
Lift= 9.71 mm / 7.69 mm
or .3884 in / .3076 in

2. 1982 Kz750-E3:
Intake=36.25mm x 28.15mm
Exhaust=36.20mm x 28.15mm
Lift= 8.10 mm / 8.05 mm
or .324 in / .322 in

I think...unless I screwed up measuring something. That .388in intake lift on the 650 seems high. But what do I know?

The 1982 Kz750-E3 model is a guess based on the Engine ID #.