Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 17:49 #493148

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
So I've been thinking out a paint scheme for the bike. I think I'll be doing a classic Kawasaki green with white stripes. The paint I'm looking at using is from Eastwood.com and is called Lime Squeeze Green and is part of their Muscle Car color lineup.

Attachment p35720.jpg not found

I've also been thinking about giving the bike the name, but realized that my wife has already named it. I'll have a sign shop make up some stickers for me from one of the following. Of course, the Kawasaki name plates will stay on the bike after being cleaned up and touched up.

Attachment themistress1.PNG not found

Attachment themistress2.PNG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 17:54 #493150

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
that should look great. i like her name too.
any luck with the spark plug yet ?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 17:56 #493151

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I also found some cool articles that I think RonKz650 had posted over on the kz650.info site that I thought I would repost here:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 17:59 #493153

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

mark1122 wrote: that should look great. i like her name too.
any luck with the spark plug yet ?

Thanks for reminding me - I need to email the rules folks and ask about the 750 head. I'm also looking at buying another engine for parts that *should* have a good head, cylinder, and piston set as I'm concerned about the rust on the #2 sleeve.

Going to try to clean up the sleeve tonight to see if it might be serviceable, but I'm not betting on it.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 18:00 #493154

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
for some reason , i can see the green paint pic but i cant see most of your other pics. i'm at work and they block all the good stuff. :(
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 Dec 2011 18:01 #493155

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Yeah, they must be blocking PhotoBucket as that's where they are coming from.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Dec 2011 14:01 #493256

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Dopped an email to the rules committee guy. From the sound of it (no clear answer yet as he had a few questions) since the Kz650 and Kz750 heads are almost identical I should be ok to use it. But I'll wait for the final answer before moving ahead with the head at all.

I'll see what I can do about the spark plug anyways. Hoping to do some wrenching this evening. I'd really like to get the frame stripped so we can start working on bracing.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Dec 2011 20:55 #493296

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Started taking apart the 750 head to clean it - the ports weren't covered in the past (before I got the engine) and it almost looks like there is red clay in them.

Anyways, things went just fine on 3 of the valves, but on the other five I can't get the buckets to budge. Just wondering if you guys have any tricks on freeing up a stubborn bucket... :unsure:

Last edit: by DoubleDub.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 16 Dec 2011 19:17 #493415

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Spent a little bit working on the rusted sleeve with a greeny and some lube. No luck, there is way too much rust in there for it to survive anything but a bore job.

Going to have to find a new liner (at a minimum) and/or good jugs with liners. I have talked with member here who is selling a motor with damage on the cases but good compression, might have to pull the trigger and get it. More spare parts never hurt anyone, right? :dry:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 18 Dec 2011 23:21 #493714

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Fun With A Cylinder Head

I started tearing apart the Kz750 head in preparation and found the head full of sand and what looks like clay. I think all the parts need is a good washing and it will be ok to run for a season. Pics are attached below. None of the grit/grime appears to have been there when the engine last ran as I don't see scoring marks or gouges from it - I'm fairly certain it got in the engine because the intake/exhaust ports weren't covered. I do have one lifter/bucket that is stuck and I’m trying to figure out how I can get it to release. Five of the other buckets were stiff, but I was able to work them free and remove them. I have a feeling there is some sand or dirt trapped between the bucket and the head causing it to bind. Hopefully it doesn’t score the bucket much as I try to remove it.

Also got most of the peripheral stuff stripped down on the front. The brake master cylinder will have to be replaced or rebuilt. I have an aftermarket unit but I need to make sure it is big enough to power two calipers.

Had to drill out the screws on the headlight shell. It’s in pretty rough shape on the inside and will need to be blasted before being sealed and repainted. I need to retain the headlight shell without the the headlight and blinkers for the AHRMA series.

. 19 Dec 2011 01:53 #493741

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 19 Dec 2011 10:13 #493767

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

KZ250LTD wrote: Yikes looks pretty gross. For the money (reasonable KZ650 heads can be had for $25-75 on ebay) I'd probably get one that isn't full of clay. JMHO tho

Likely what will happen since my cylinders need to be swapped also. Just trying to see if the 750 head is salvageable. I'm going to give it a good soap and water bath once I get it all disassembled and then see how the valves seal. If it needs works, it will get put on the shelf until I can send it out to have it worked on/ported, etc.