Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 28 Nov 2011 19:24 #490557

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
That's a good idea. I could take the 900 out on the track just to get a feel for it/practice. I just need to get a dead man switch wired up to it (I believe) and I'd be able to take it to a track day. Thanks Mark!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 28 Nov 2011 19:25 #490558

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

mark1122 wrote: My post didnt turn out as pretty as yours. u are obviously more puter savvey than I. lol

Yeah, but I don't come here to learn about using the puter....I come here for the motorcycle related stuff... :laugh:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 28 Nov 2011 19:58 #490562

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

DoubleDub wrote: That's a good idea. I could take the 900 out on the track just to get a feel for it/practice. I just need to get a dead man switch wired up to it (I believe) and I'd be able to take it to a track day. Thanks Mark!

the best money u could ever spend would be on 1 day of race school. u will learn more in 1 day than u will by yourself i 1 season.
just to through some #'s out. i can take a day class for about $600 on there brand new 600cc bike, with all there gear.
for $400 i can use my bike.
They arnt going to teach u to race on day 1, but u will do braking drills. Hanging off the bike drills. They will put cones out on the track at the entry , apex and exit points. u will follow an instructor around the track to learn the lines. U will get equal class and track time. They will give u something to focus on in the class, for the next session.. then after the track session, they will critique u . then u repeat, class , track, class track. (Class is just your group at a chalk board.) when your group is at the chalk board , another group is on the track.

If u don’t do a class, remember this.

Don’t touch the rear brake on the track. Keep that for when u miss a turn and end up off roading it. Lol. then Don’t touch the front brake, just the rear. Lol
Very important lesson.

once u find out the newer fork options, save a search for them on ebay so u get daily emails of new auctions. U may be surprised how cheap u can get them.
Maybe u can get a whole front end swap? That makes the brakes work to. And all u have to do is swap the steering stems at most.
Just have a look.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 28 Nov 2011 20:00 #490563

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
what size tire do u run on the 650 ?
'
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 28 Nov 2011 21:26 #490573

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Avon/Old Style Sizes -
Front size: 3.25-19
Rear size: 4.00-18

Dunlop/New Style Sizes -
Front size: 100/90-19
Rear size: 110/90-18

I believe these are the same as the Z1/Kz900.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 11:33 #490644

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
This is the local racing school, I could probably strip down the Kz900 to take out there.

learningcurves.info/

I'm also hoping to make a track day at the same track. Which bike depends on progress at that time.

www.blackhawkfarms.com/?page_id=28

Either way, I have the winter to wrench away :whistle:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 12:23 #490648

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Now thats what im talking about. :woohoo:
$200 for a lesson day. thats amazing.
Sign me up.
i wish i could do it hear for so cheap.
Have fun.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 12:44 #490651

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
You're always welcome to come do it with me B)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 13:30 #490654

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
i started by buying a 01 cbr600. me and 2 pals split the cost so it was cheep to get started. we 3 would go to the track every other week. we would bring our street bike and the cbr. 1 guy would get to ride the cbr each day while the others would ride our street bikes. we had so much fun that we bought 2 more cbr's at the end of the season.i get to do all the service on all bikes. yeeha.

the more modern bikes are so much easier to ride, therefore much safer. imo. the limiting factor on the kz is that the cases hit the ground if u turn too hard. this is a problem for us novists, in that, if u get in a corner to hot and u are near hitting the cases already, u cant lean it anymore.so u are in trouble. with the newer bikes u can just lean it a little more and u are safe.
i cant keep up to my pal on his little ninja 500 in the corners with my kz1200(with modern suspension). i just cant lean it enough without scraping the cases, and he pulls away.
just something to think about. if your heart is not set on racing vintage, consider something newer.
i think its actually safer.i have fewer holly shit moments on the cbr than the kz for that reason alone. u can get a track bike thats already to go for a few thow. there cheaper that a street bike but may have some rash.

but of course, we all love the old KZ's.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 13:42 #490659

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Right now I'm set on the Vintage, but I hear what you are saying. I have a feeling this will push me to want to do more once I get involved - either other vintage classes or more modern stuff.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 13:51 #490662

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
its a blast.
have fun. B)
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 29 Nov 2011 20:05 #490698

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
honda hawk series in the late 80's...lean till you dream...low cost.....high corner speed...high focus....wiggly wiggly......it is not the size of the dog in the fight
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife