Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 17:43 #896348

• ThatYeti
  • ThatYeti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Well I'm not exactly competent enough to take much more of it apart (surprised I got the dash apart honestly) and the wires inside the headlight weren't actually worn at all, just dusty. Will see if I can find worn wires anywhere else but otherwise I guess I'll just try to find extra fuses to keep on hand.
'76 KZ400
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 13 Mar 2024 15:55 #896370

• ThatYeti
  • User
Ok, took it out to run an errand just now. Ran it around the block a few times with lots of unnecessary blinker usage and no issues. Made it there and back without a problem...but got a little cocky and took a detour around some farm fields and had it blow the main fuse on me again while taking a right turn. Definitely used the blinkers pretty well on the route I took and same with inside the neighborhood so I thought I was in the clear but apparently not. Will see if there's anything sticking out wire wise that might be getting pinched when I turn it right but otherwise I think I might just have to go back to the stock flasher and deal with not having blinkers as I'd rather that than get stuck somewhere farther from home
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 13 Mar 2024 16:38 #896375

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1858
So with it static for 10 minutes in the garage - no issues 
Running round the block on smooth tarmac - no issues
Bumping it round a field - fault occurs

I think the flasher relay being the cause is a "red herring" I believe there is a damaged wire or one of the turn signals is faulty on the right side (can't remember if that is grey or green) the current draw through the mechanical flasher is simply bending the bi-metal strip back before the fuse blows so re-fitting the old relay isn't solving the problem
If you want me to talk you through diagnosing it let me know ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 13 Mar 2024 17:06 #896376

• ThatYeti
  • User
Correct on all that, but I was driving on paved roads that happened to be next to farm fields and a small airfield, so not anything more bumpy than pavement.

The flasher I've got installed is supposed to be electric I thought, where it's not working based on thermal change and bending a piece of metal, no?

Would absolutely appreciate any help diagnosing the issue, though my lack of ability/experience I'm sure will add to the challenge.
​​​
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 14 Mar 2024 03:06 #896382

• Wookie58

Correct on all that, but I was driving on paved roads that happened to be next to farm fields and a small airfield, so not anything more bumpy than pavement.

The flasher I've got installed is supposed to be electric I thought, where it's not working based on thermal change and bending a piece of metal, no? If it is the new flasher then "yes" it's electronic - the bi-metal strip reference was in regards to you re-fitting the original flasher as a "solution"

Would absolutely appreciate any help diagnosing the issue, though my lack of ability/experience I'm sure will add to the challenge.
I will put something together for you later ref diagnosis - if you follow the instructions then your limited electrical skills shouldn't be an issue 
​​​
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, ThatYeti

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 14 Mar 2024 10:50 #896392

• Wookie58
OK now for the next instalment, I know wiring diagrams can be confusing so I have blanked out everything not related to the "turn signal" circuit to make this a little easier to follow. Using the meter in this way is a far better alternative than working through a bucket of fuses 

Attachments:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 14 Mar 2024 11:20 #896393

• ThatYeti
  • User
Ok, thank you again and that all looks very helpful...but you lost me at step one 'remove tank'...never done that and also just filled it to the brim yesterday....did find a bucket of fuses at the local hardware store though...however they sell for the kings ransom of $2/each...
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 14 Mar 2024 11:23 #896394

• Wookie58

Ok, thank you again and that all looks very helpful...but you lost me at step one 'remove tank'...never done that and also just filled it to the brim yesterday....did find a bucket of fuses at the local hardware store though...however they sell for the kings ransom of $2/each...
The wiring loom runs under the gas tank from the front to the rear, you can't complete the process without being able to access the loom. If your petcock is in working order you should be able to shut it off then disconnect the pipes to it, unbolt the tank and lift it off (probably worth putting it outside if there is any "weapage" from the petcock)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 14 Mar 2024 17:13 #896412

• ThatYeti
  • User
Didn't have time today and may not tomorrow, but is all I need to do is open the seat and unhook the rubber loop at the bottom edge of the tank and disconnect the petcock?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 15 Mar 2024 02:07 #896422

• Wookie58
If you look in the "articles" section there is a factory service manual which will detail how to take things apart

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 17 Mar 2024 09:02 #896517

• ThatYeti
  • User
Managed to get the tank off thanks to the instructions in the articles, but wanted to confirm I need to pull the bulb out of the "gauge cluster" again for this test or if you meant something else by 'warning light bulb' in the diagram.

Also in hooking up the meter, am I doing it as I did last time? Red to the battery and black to the orange flasher lead?

*Edit, re-read the above and think I've got it setup right. Didn't get any beep when using the right turn signal but did for the left. Going hunting for the short now.
'76 KZ400

Last edit: by ThatYeti.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 17 Mar 2024 09:26 #896518

• ThatYeti
  • User
Ok, so I didn't get it to beep but I did find what probably should have been an obvious issue if I knew where to look. Oddly though it doesn't cause a beep when I push it against the fender or frame? Any chance there's another issue somewhere else? (It's the lead to the right rear blinker)
'76 KZ400
Attachments:

Last edit: by ThatYeti.