Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 13:30 #896332

• ThatYeti
  • ThatYeti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Also seeing these wires on the left side between the tank and fork that seem like that might not be ideal
'76 KZ400
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 13:49 #896333

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1858
See the below pic for an explanation of the spare wires - now for the "important" bit. do you still have the bulbs out ? schoolboy error on my part (comes from dipping in and out when I'm supposed to be working 
You need to redo the voltage checks I advised on the orange wire at the flasher unit - I completely missed the fact that your voltmeter is on VAC and it should be on VDC which is why you where getting strange readings - apologies for 2second rate" guidance 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:02 #896335

• ThatYeti
  • User
Glad to hear the loose wires aren't of concern and I put everything back as I was worried something would get lost or I'd forget what went where so it's all buttoned up but I want to say I tried it on that setting and got similar results. Just slightly different numbers. Is that worth tearing it all apart again?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:34 #896338

• Wookie58
  • Away
How different where the readings ? If it's back together let's leave it that way for now. So reading back through the thread the fault has always occurred whilst riding - Try leaving it idling stationary on the stand with the turn signals on - you said it took about 10 mins last  time so try 10 mins on left and then if still ok try 10 mins on right - I still think the grey or green is shorting to ground partially (or something else is) try the static test and if it still blows I will give you next steps (which will involve taking it apart again)

stupid question but if it is the main fuse I assume you are using a 20amp fuse ? (generally they don't blow easy)

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:37 #896339

• ThatYeti
  • User
Yes it's the main 20a fuse each time and it's usually about 10-15 mins of riding but what amounts to 5-6 corners so I'll give it a shot standing in the garage but I've only two fuses left as they're apparently not very common and I had to buy a big multi pack just to get three in that size.
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:49 #896340

• ThatYeti
  • User
Ok, so I left it not running, but with the blinkers going. 2 full mins on the left, 2 full mins on the right. No issue. Switched on the high beams, one full minute each side, no issue.

Thinking back I did twist the adjustment on the flasher as it was very rapid and so now it blinks about what the average car would anyway. Any chance that was the issue, it blinking too fast?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:55 #896341

• Wookie58
  • Away

Ok, so I left it not running, but with the blinkers going. 2 full mins on the left, 2 full mins on the right. No issue. Switched on the high beams, one full minute each side, no issue.

Thinking back I did twist the adjustment on the flasher as it was very rapid and so now it blinks about what the average car would anyway. Any chance that was the issue, it blinking too fast?
Unlikely the speed would effect it, now try with it running and the flasher on turn the handlebars all the way left and right - what happens ?
are these the type of fuse you have

Attachments:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 14:57 #896342

• ThatYeti
  • User
Not sure I'll have time tonight but will if I can, and yes except they're 25mm long which is apparently a very uncommon size.
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 15:08 #896343

• Wookie58
  • Away

Not sure I'll have time tonight but will if I can, and yes except they're 25mm long which is apparently a very uncommon size.
That sucks, they are readily available in the UK (classic car scene) if it comes to it you can unsolder the ends and solder in some 20amp fuse wire

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 15:18 #896344

• ThatYeti
  • User
Ok, running for 10 mins now with blinkers going, turned left right no change. Only thing that really changed was the speed of the blinkers....is that possible?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 15:28 #896345

• Wookie58
  • Away

Ok, running for 10 mins now with blinkers going, turned left right no change. Only thing that really changed was the speed of the blinkers....is that possible?
Unlikely, I think what you have is a wire on the output side of the main fuse (everything except lights) that has rubbed through and either vibration or motion (bumps in the road etc) when on the move is causing it to short to ground (the entire electrical system doesn't draw 20 amps) so see how you go. If it is what I think it could take a bit of finding unless there is clearly visible damage to the loom somewhere. (it may have been the damaged headlight wires  )

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 12 Mar 2024 15:46 #896346

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
As far as fuse availability, I updated the old glass fuse on my Z1 to more current blade type.  The old fuse holder plugs into the harness before and after the fuse.  You can find the blade type fuse holder pigtails at your local auto parts store (standard blade fuse or mini blade fuse type).  add the correct bullet plugs to the pigtail and it plugs right in to the harness.  I got the bullet connectors from cycleterminals.com
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, ThatYeti