Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 17 Mar 2024 09:51 #896519

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1792
You have got to love a systematic approach to your fault finding   (given that the fuse doesn't blow instantly when you switched the right flasher on it would suggest it isn't getting a "full ground" due to paint and corrosion on the surrounding parts) if you switch the meter to VDC red lead to battery  + and black lead to the orange flasher unit wire - switch in the "right" position and push the damaged area against the fender/frame I suspect you will get a reading of maybe 5-6v when it should be 0v. Either way it's a fairly safe bet that you can put this one down as a "WIN" (in 24 minutes) 
PS: the reason for using the diode test function was so you didn't need to keep watching the meter while "manipulating"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 17 Mar 2024 12:59 #896526

• ThatYeti
  • ThatYeti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
*Edit* Took it for a very short ride to the hardware store and had no issues, fingers crossed when it's warm enough and I have time for a longer one it goes just as smoothly.

Well I had to move onto another project but definitely ran it and let the blinkers go while turning the bars right and left without issue. Will test ride later, fingers crossed I have no issue but given the intermittent-ness it seems it may have been partially to do with the 'load' I was putting on the seat into the corners and where that wire was floating around at the time as well. Ended up clipping it and adding a connector along with some heat shrink, now it's tucked up good and shouldn't be a problem.
'76 KZ400
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by ThatYeti.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 07:31 #896562

• ThatYeti
  • User
Planning to take it out later today for a little longer 'shakedown' test ride and fingers crossed all goes well. That said now that we have the issues with the stock stuff solved I do want to get moving towards swapping it all for LEDs, with the headlight is this one simply going to be plug and play?

speedmotoco.com/led-motorcycle-headlight...h-headlight-black-w/

I'd bought resistors from Z1 for the blinkers on their recommendation but now that I have the LED compatible flasher, will I still need them? Or can I just splice in the wires and be good to go?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 08:28 #896568

• Wookie58
Shouldn't need the resistors now 

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 10:33 #896572

• ThatYeti
  • User
Thanks and anything special I'll need to do with that headlight? Seems it should just plug into the H4 plug no? Didn't look that closely when I had the headlight off but seemed there were some extra wires going into it besides that but maybe that's just to keep them out of the elements?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 14:29 #896574

• Wookie58
The headlight ? - is it an LED unit ? If so the extra wires may be built in turn signals ?

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 14:52 #896576

• ThatYeti
  • User
No, the existing headlight is probably the original, and I'm talking about all the extra wires sitting under the cover
'76 KZ400
Attachments:

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 18:27 #896584

• Wookie58
It is original on most bikes of this age to have the front end wiring stuffed into the headlight, they could be a PITA to get back in even when they were new 

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 18 Mar 2024 20:54 #896587

• ThatYeti
  • User
Good to know guess I'll ask if it's got any space behind the bulb before ordering unless there are other led lights people have had better luck with?
'76 KZ400

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 19 Mar 2024 02:08 #896591

• Wookie58

Good to know guess I'll ask if it's got any space behind the bulb before ordering unless there are other led lights people have had better luck with?
will be interesting to see what other "400 guys" have done with LED headlights, your bike has an early "field coil" style charging system so you may have issues with the headlight "flickering" this can be improved by using a resistor but I don't know what size resistor you would need. 

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Flasher replacement '76 KZ400 07 Apr 2024 16:20 #897355

• ThatYeti
  • User
Headlight will be here later this week but finally got the blinkers replaced, lot more work than it should have been mainly because the LEDs had super thin wiring, but that's more my fault, should have known based on how cheap they were. Had to make a ground for them but was able to reuse some of the original hardware and didn't have to cut anything but the power wire really so it could be swapped back if needed.

Now just have to decide what to do on the rear, thinking either use more of those for the blinkers and a plain LED brake light or getting a combo brake/blinker strip light and probably trimming down the fenders a little too.
'76 KZ400
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58